Proof of Conservation of Vector Calculus: Force on a Mass with Position Vector r

In summary, to show that L is conserved, we need to prove that \frac{dL}{dt} = 0. Using the product rule for derivatives of cross products, we get \frac{dL}{dt} = \frac{dr}{dt} \times \frac{dr}{dt} + \frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}} \times r. Since the derivatives of r and its derivatives are not generally in the same direction, we need to use the given equation, m\frac{d^{2}\textbf{r}}{dt^{2}}=F=f(\textbf{r})\textbf{r}, to show that they are in the same direction
supermanii

Homework Statement

The Force on a mass with position vector r satisfies:

[tex]m\frac{d^{2}\textbf{r}}{dt^{2}}=F=f(\textbf{r})\textbf{r}[/tex]

where f(r) is scalar function of r. Show that L:

[tex]L=\textbf{r}\times\frac{d\textbf{r}}{dt}[/tex]

is conserved.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for L to be conserved I have to prove that r x dr/dt is a constant however I am not sure where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to interrupt your post, what math is this? Calculus 3?

A 2nd year undergraduate physics module called mathematical methods.

If you want to show L is a constant vector, show its derivative is the zero vector. Differentiate it and use what you are given. Do you know if you have a product rule for derivatives of cross products?

Yes I know the product rules for cross products. So:

[tex]\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{dr}{dt}\times\frac{dr}{dt}+\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}\times r[/tex]

All the derivatives of and r itself are in the same direction so all go to 0 thus proving L is conserved :). Thanks for the help.

supermanii said:
Yes I know the product rules for cross products. So:

[tex]\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{dr}{dt}\times\frac{dr}{dt}+\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}\times r[/tex]

All the derivatives of and r itself are in the same direction so all go to 0 thus proving L is conserved :). Thanks for the help.

Not quite. r and its derivatives are not generally in the same direction. For example, acceleration need not be same direction as velocity. You have a bit left to do to complete your argument.

Ok I was wrong, but dr/dt cross itself goes to zero so:

[tex]\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}\times r[/tex]?

I have to prove that [tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex] and r are in the same direction. Am I right in thinking that the very first equation shows exactly this? As both m and f(r) are scalars so do not affect the direction.

supermanii said:
Ok I was wrong, but dr/dt cross itself goes to zero so:

[tex]\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}\times r[/tex]?

I have to prove that [tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex] and r are in the same direction. Am I right in thinking that the very first equation shows exactly this? As both m and f(r) are scalars so do not affect the direction.

Yes. You have to do an additional step and use the given info about the second derivative.

You would expect angular momentum to be preserved given that the acceleration is in the radial direction, eh?

1. What is vector calculus and why is it important?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives. It is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems in physics and engineering, where quantities like force, velocity, and acceleration are often described using vectors.

2. What are the main concepts in a vector calculus proof?

The main concepts in a vector calculus proof include vector operations such as addition, multiplication, and differentiation, as well as the fundamental theorem of calculus, which relates the integral of a function to its derivative.

3. How do you approach a vector calculus proof?

To approach a vector calculus proof, it is important to first understand the problem and the given information. Then, use the properties of vector operations and theorems to manipulate the equations and arrive at the desired result. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or use geometric interpretations to visualize the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a vector calculus proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a vector calculus proof include not fully understanding the problem or the given information, using incorrect or incomplete equations, and not showing all the steps in the proof. It is also important to check for algebraic errors and ensure that the final result matches the given information.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving vector calculus proofs?

The best way to improve your skills in solving vector calculus proofs is through practice. Start with simple problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to study and understand the underlying concepts and theorems, as well as to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.