How to Compute F on a Given Surface with Downward Pointing Normal?

In summary, the problem involves finding the surface given by the graph z = 4 - x^2 - y^2 above the xy-plane with a downward pointing normal. The task is to compute the integral of the vector field F (x,y,z) = xcosz i - ycosz j + (x^2 + y^2) k over this surface. The hint suggests using Stokes' theorem to solve the problem and also mentions that div F = 0 on all R3. This implies that there exists a vector field G such that F = Curl G. The solution involves using the formula for Stokes' theorem and finding the gradient of G to compute the integral.
lembeh

Homework Statement

Let S be the surface given by the graph z = 4 - x2 - y2 above the xy-plane (that it is, where z [tex]\geq[/tex] 0) with downward pointing normal, and let

F (x,y,z) = xcosz i - ycosz j + (x2 + y2 ) k

Compute [tex]\oint\oints[/tex][tex]\oint[/tex]s F dS. (F has a downward pointing normal)

(Hint: Its easy to see that div F = 0 on all R3. This implies that there exists a vector field G such that F = Curl G, although it doesn't tell you what G is)

Homework Equations

z = 4 - x2 - y2 above the xy-plane (that it is, where z [tex]\geq[/tex] 0) with downward pointing normal

F (x,y,z) = xcosz i - ycosz j + (x2 + y2 ) k

Compute [tex]\oint\oints[/tex][tex]\oint[/tex]s F dS. (F has a downward pointing normal)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im getting throw off a bit by the hint. I know its something to do with the surface not being defined around the origin but that's about it.

Homework Statement

See above

Homework Equations

How do I solve this?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like the hint is suggesting you use Stokes' theorem:
[tex]\int \vec{G}\cdot\d\vec{r}= \int\int \nabla G\cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]

Right, but how do I compute this? My daughter hasnt gone past Green's theorem yet in class...I saw this problem on her homework but she couldn't solve it. I can help her and know some Multivariable calculus (but not vector calculus). I want to help her get through this. I would really appreciate it if someone spelt out the solution for me. So I could learn this and help her out with this. I hope that's not an unreasonable request :)

1) What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives. It combines the concepts of calculus with the geometric properties of vectors to solve problems in physics and engineering.

2) What are some real-world applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some specific applications include modeling electromagnetic fields, calculating fluid flow in pipes, and creating 3D animations.

3) How is vector calculus different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with functions of one or more variables, while vector calculus deals with vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in a space. Vector calculus also has its own set of rules and operations, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl.

4) What are some important concepts in vector calculus?

Some important concepts in vector calculus include vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus for line and surface integrals. Other important concepts include the gradient, divergence, and curl operators, as well as vector identities such as the Green's theorem and Stokes' theorem.

5) How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in traditional calculus, as well as a good grasp of vector algebra and geometry. Practice solving a variety of problems and work through examples to solidify your understanding. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor.