1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus Question

1. Apr 9, 2005 #1
    Anyone take a look at this vector calculus question for me:

Q. If n is the uni normal to the surface S, evaluate Double Integral r.n dS over the surface of a sphere of radius 'a' centred at the origin.

So I did:

r = (x,y,z)
    Sphere: x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2

let f = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

n = gradf / |grad f|

therefore n = (x,y,z)/a

n.r = a

Now how do I proceed with the integral? I thought it would just be

int(2pi->0) int (pi->0) int(a->0) a r.dr.d[theta].d[phi]

which gives the answer [pi]^2.[a]^3 which really doesn't look right! I think it's the actual integral I've made a mistake with! HELP!!!! I HATE VECTOR CALCULUS [and I really need to learn to use latex!]
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2005 #2
    Isnt n = [tex] \frac{2x,2y,2z}{|gradF|} [/tex]?
  4. Apr 9, 2005 #3
    Btw, I know that a simple way to solve my problem is just to use the fact that the surface area of the sphere is 4*pi*a^3, but I want to solve the integral explicitly (as practise). Have found my tutor's notes and she found the 'area element' to be a*sin^2*theta*d[theta]*d[phi] and thus carried out a double integral. Could someone explain this please?
  5. Apr 9, 2005 #4

Yes but the |gradF| on the bottom gives you a factor of 2, so it cancels :frown: Having found my tutor's notes I know that I'm doing fine up until the integral and I shouldn't be doing it as a triple integral, but rather a double integral as I've explained in my above post.
  6. Apr 9, 2005 #5
  7. Apr 9, 2005 #6
    thanks. they're still carrying out triple integrals though, whereas I should only be doing a double integral :s
  8. Apr 9, 2005 #7
    I'd help you out but I dont have my calc 3 book to recall the specific steps in deriving spherical coordinates, but im pretty sure spherical coordinates only works in triple integrals since it uses 3 parameters, p,theta,phi.

Im probably not the person to helping you with this. Sorry.
  9. Apr 9, 2005 #8
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  10. Apr 9, 2005 #9

Science Advisor

Problem requires evaluation of {∫ ∫ r⋅dA} over Surface of Sphere of Radius "a":
    The Unit Area normal element on the Sphere's surface is given by:
    dA = r2sin(φ)⋅dθ⋅dφ⋅r/|r|
    ::: ⇒ ∫ ∫ r⋅dA = ∫ ∫ r⋅r2sin(φ)⋅dθ⋅dφ⋅r/|r| =
    = ∫ ∫ r3sin(φ)⋅dθ⋅dφ = ???
    The above Double Integral should be evaluated at constant (r = a) for integration limits {0 ≤ θ ≤ 2*π} and {0 ≤ φ ≤ π}.

For more info, see Equation #14 at:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?