Preparing for Vector Calculus: What Topics Should You Focus On?

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of preparation for a vector calculus class. The person mentioned their plan to study a book on calculus before the class starts and asked if it would be enough preparation. However, it was suggested that reviewing multivariable calculus would be more beneficial, as the class will likely focus on topics such as partial derivatives, volume and surface integrals. The person then asked what was covered in their previous calculus class and it was mentioned that vector calculus is usually covered in Calc 3 in the US. Finally, it was advised to review the Stewart Early transcendentals book instead of the mentioned book, as it is more relevant to the upcoming vector calculus class.
fishturtle1
Hi,

In next semester, I am going to take vector calculus. Here is the course description: Vector fields, line and surface integrals, Green's Theorem, Stokes' Theorem, Divergence Theorem and advanced topics such as differential forms or applications to mechanics, fluid mechanics, or electromagnetism.

I've got a month before school starts and I want to go through "Calculus Deconstructed: A Second Course in First-Year Calculus" by Zbigniew Nitecki, but i also want to prepare for the vector calc class. I think in calc 2 and calc 3 I was kind of lost, and passed because of the curves..

This book has 6 chapters: Precalc, Sequences and their limits, continuity, differentiation, integrals, and power series. I think I can make it up to differentiation before school starts.Can I study this book and count that as my preparation for vector calc? Am i better off just reviewing multivariable calculus?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:
Can I study this book and count that as my preparation for vector calc? Am i better off just reviewing multivariable calculus?
You should probably review multivariable calculus, as things like limits and sequences will likely not be the focus of a vector calculus class. Topics like partial derivatives, volume intregrals, and surface integrals will be much more important.

Likes Stephen Tashi and vanhees71
NFuller said:
You should probably review multivariable calculus, as things like limits and sequences will likely not be the focus of a vector calculus class. Topics like partial derivatives, volume intregrals, and surface integrals will be much more important.
ahh ok, ill do that then, thanks for the reply

Just out of curiosity, what did you cover in Calc 3? Usually vector calculus is covered in that semester (in the US).

vela said:
Just out of curiosity, what did you cover in Calc 3? Usually vector calculus is covered in that semester (in the US).
We used Stewart Early transcendentals and I think we made it up to line integrals, in the US too

Undergrad Vector Calc is almost exclusively integral and derivatives and combining them in those theorems. You should make sure you are comfortable with partial derivatives, iterated integrals, and vector operations like dot product and cross product. The book you mention probably won't be much help because it sounds like an analysis book. Just review Stewart instead.

Likes fishturtle1

1. What is the difference between vector calculus and analysis?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives, while analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of limits, continuity, and differentiation. In simple terms, vector calculus focuses on the behavior of vector quantities, while analysis focuses on the behavior of scalar quantities.

2. How are vector calculus and analysis related?

Vector calculus and analysis are closely related as they both involve the study of functions and their derivatives. Vector calculus uses the concepts of analysis, such as limits and derivatives, to study vector fields. Additionally, many of the techniques and theorems used in analysis are also applicable in vector calculus.

3. Which branch of mathematics is more useful, vector calculus or analysis?

The usefulness of vector calculus and analysis depends on the specific application. Vector calculus is often used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of physical systems, while analysis is used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and mathematical modeling.

4. Are there any prerequisites for learning vector calculus or analysis?

Both vector calculus and analysis require a solid foundation in calculus, including knowledge of limits, derivatives, and integrals. Additionally, a good understanding of linear algebra and multivariable calculus is helpful for learning vector calculus, while knowledge of real analysis is beneficial for studying analysis.

5. In which real-world applications are vector calculus and analysis used?

Vector calculus is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and analyze physical systems. Examples include electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and mechanics. Analysis is used in many fields of mathematics, such as optimization, statistics, and numerical analysis, and has applications in physics, economics, and computer science.