Vector Calculus: Find E & B at General Time t

In summary, the given problem involves finding the solutions for the vectors \textbf{E} and \textbf{B} at a general time t, given their initial values and equations of motion. The attempt at a solution involves using a "simple" coupled differential equations method and differentiating with respect to time to obtain uncoupled equations for \textbf{E} and \textbf{B}. It is suggested to "uncouple" the equations again to solve for the various components of \textbf{E} and \textbf{B}, depending on the values of the constant vectors \textbf{E}_0 and \textbf{B}_0. However, it is noted that there may not be a
P3X-018

Homework Statement

At time t = 0, the vectors [itex] \textbf{E} [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} [/itex] are given by [itex] \textbf{E} = \textbf{E}_0 [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} = \textbf{B}_0 [/itex], where te unit vectors, [itex] \textbf{E}_0 [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B}_0 [/itex] are fixed and orthogonal. The equations of motion are

[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}\textbf{E}}{\mathrm{d}t} = \textbf{E}_0 + \textbf{B}\times\textbf{E}_0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}\textbf{B}}{\mathrm{d}t} = \textbf{B}_0 + \textbf{E}\times\textbf{B}_0[/tex]

Find [itex] \textbf{E} [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} [/itex] at a general time t, showing that after a long time the directions of [itex] \textbf{E} [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} [/itex] have almost interchanged.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now this looks like a "simple" coupled differential equations, instead of using the formal method to solve te system, I differentiate with respect to time and get

[tex] \ddot{\textbf{E}} = \dot{\textbf{B}}\times\textbf{E} = \textbf{B}_0(\textbf{E}_0\cdot\textbf{E})+\textbf{B}_0\times\textbf{E}_0[/tex]

And similar equation for [itex] \ddot{\textbf{B}} [/itex] (replace E's with B's). But I don't know what to use this result for, this is again a coupled differential equations. Is there a better way to solve this problem? I want to find E and B as functions of time.
Any hint would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
P3X-018 said:

Homework Statement

At time t = 0, the vectors [itex] \textbf{E} [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} [/itex] are given by [itex] \textbf{E} = \textbf{E}_0 [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} = \textbf{B}_0 [/itex], where te unit vectors, [itex] \textbf{E}_0 [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B}_0 [/itex] are fixed and orthogonal. The equations of motion are

[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}\textbf{E}}{\mathrm{d}t} = \textbf{E}_0 + \textbf{B}\times\textbf{E}_0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}\textbf{B}}{\mathrm{d}t} = \textbf{B}_0 + \textbf{E}\times\textbf{B}_0[/tex]

Find [itex] \textbf{E} [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} [/itex] at a general time t, showing that after a long time the directions of [itex] \textbf{E} [/itex] and [itex] \textbf{B} [/itex] have almost interchanged.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now this looks like a "simple" coupled differential equations, instead of using the formal method to solve te system, I differentiate with respect to time and get

[tex] \ddot{\textbf{E}} = \dot{\textbf{B}}\times\textbf{E} = \textbf{B}_0(\textbf{E}_0\cdot\textbf{E})+\textbf{B}_0\times\textbf{E}_0[/tex]

And similar equation for [itex] \ddot{\textbf{B}} [/itex] (replace E's with B's). But I don't know what to use this result for, this is again a coupled differential equations. Is there a better way to solve this problem? I want to find E and B as functions of time.
Any hint would be appreciated.
Well, you have "uncoupled" B and E- that's a start. The equations for the various components of E are still coupled. Go ahead and solve them by "uncoupling" again. How complicated that is will depend upon the constant vectors E0 and B0. If they had one or more components 0, that would simplify things a lot.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, you have "uncoupled" B and E- that's a start. The equations for the various components of E are still coupled. Go ahead and solve them by "uncoupling" again. How complicated that is will depend upon the constant vectors E0 and B0. If they had one or more components 0, that would simplify things a lot.

So I assume there is no simple "shortcut" to solve this? Because there is no more information then what I wrote in #0, about the start vectors, so I can't assume some components are 0. This seems more like a diff. equation problem than a vector calculus. Ofcourse this problem is relatively easy to solve when only considering it as a system of coupled differential equations. I thought that there would be some "tricks" to solve this another way.

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives. It involves the use of vector operations such as differentiation and integration to analyze and solve problems in physics and engineering.

2. What is the significance of finding E and B at a general time t?

E and B refer to the electric and magnetic fields, respectively. Finding them at a general time t allows us to understand the behavior of these fields over time, which is important in predicting and studying phenomena such as electromagnetic waves and the movement of charged particles.

3. How do you find E and B at a general time t?

To find E and B at a general time t, we use the equations of motion for electric and magnetic fields, which involve the use of vector calculus. These equations take into account the properties of the medium, the charges and currents present, and the boundary conditions of the system.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus and finding E and B at a general time t?

Vector calculus is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Finding E and B at a general time t is particularly useful in applications involving electromagnetic fields, such as designing antennas, analyzing circuitry, and developing technologies for wireless communication and energy transfer.

5. What are some useful resources for learning about vector calculus and finding E and B at a general time t?

There are many textbooks, online courses, and tutorials available for learning vector calculus. Some recommended resources for learning about E and B at a general time t specifically include "Electromagnetic Field Theory Fundamentals" by Bhag Singh Guru and Hüseyin R. Hiziroglu, "Electromagnetic Fields and Energy" by Hermann A. Haus and James R. Melcher, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.