Sketching Field Lines of f(r)r: A Guiding Intuition

In summary, the problem statement, all variables and givenknown data is trying to solve for the divergence and curl of a scalar function, but can't seem to get started because they don't know the function or how to solve for the divergence and curl.
MrB3nn
1. The problem statement, all variables and givenknown data
Let r be a position vector from the origin (r=xi+yj+zk), whose magnitude is r, and let f(r) be a scalar function of r. Sketch the field lines of f(r)r

Homework Equations

1 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex])=0
2 [tex]\nabla[/tex].([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)=0
3 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)=[tex]\nabla[/tex]([tex]\nabla[/tex].v)-[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\^{}2[/tex]v
4 [tex]\nabla[/tex].([tex]\Psi[/tex]v)=[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex].v+v.[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't get started on this question. I have no idea how you can draw a sketch of the field lines when the scalar function is unknown. My intuition says you should be able to use some of those identities but I need a push in the right direction. I hope someone can give me that.

Physics news on Phys.org
More relevant equations (the site was crashing when I tried to put them all into one post):
5 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\Psi[/tex]v)=[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]xv+([tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex])xv
6 [tex]\nabla[/tex].(v.w)=w.([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)-v.([tex]\nabla[/tex]xw)
7 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x(vxw)=v([tex]\nabla[/tex].w)-w([tex]\nabla[/tex].v)+(w.[tex]\nabla[/tex])v-(v.[tex]\nabla[/tex])w

Why not start by computing the divergence and curl of f(r)r...

Ok, I did that using the correct formulae.
Div:
3f(r)+x[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x+y[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]y+z[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z
Curl:
(z[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]y-y[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z)i+(x[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z-z[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x)j+(y[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x-x[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]y)k

I really can't see how that helps since I don't know f(r), and f(r) could be positive or negative. I know that the divergence of a vector field is the (flux of an infinitessimal box/unit volume) placed at a point in the field but I don't know how that helps. I don't know what curl is exactly so I don't know how that helps me visualise the field.

Yuck!:yuck:...since f is a function only of r, use spherical coordinates to find the div and curl instead...remember, [tex]\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial{r}}=f'(r)[/tex]

When I switch to spherical polars, r becomes r=r[tex]\widehat{r}[/tex] and grad changes appropriately.
For the div I get:
Div = f(r) + rf'(r)
and for the curl I get zero.
I still can't see what this means. The div could be positive or negative depending on the actual function.

The curl is zero, which tells you that the field lines don't 'rotate'...You are correct that Div (f(r)r) can be pos/neg or zero, so why not sketch and label all 3 cases?

Ok I see. Thanks very much for your consistent help.

1. How do you sketch field lines for a function f(r)r?

To sketch field lines for a function f(r)r, you will need to follow these steps:

• 1. Choose a point in the coordinate plane as your starting point.
  • 2. Calculate the gradient of the function at that point.
  • 3. Draw a line segment with the calculated gradient at that point.
  • 4. Repeat this process at different points to create a series of line segments.
  • 5. The final sketch will consist of a continuous curve that represents the field lines of the function.

2. What is the purpose of sketching field lines for a function?

Sketching field lines for a function helps us visualize the direction and strength of the electric or magnetic field associated with that function. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function and its impact on surrounding objects or particles.

3. Can you sketch field lines for any type of function?

Yes, field lines can be sketched for any type of function as long as it represents a physical quantity such as electric or magnetic field. However, the complexity of the function may affect the ease of sketching the field lines.

4. How do you determine the strength of the field from the sketch?

The strength of the field can be determined by the spacing between field lines. The closer the lines are, the stronger the field is at that particular point. Additionally, the overall shape of the field lines can also indicate the strength of the field, with tighter curves representing a stronger field.

5. Are there any limitations to sketching field lines for a function?

Yes, there are certain limitations to sketching field lines for a function. Some complex functions may have an infinite number of field lines, making it impossible to fully sketch them. Additionally, the sketch may not accurately represent the true behavior of the function in all cases, and should only be used as a visual aid for understanding the general behavior of the function.