1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    I'm unsure how to do this problem:

[itex](a + 2b)\nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec u) - b \nabla \times \nabla \times \vec u - (3a + 2b)c\nabla T(r)= \vec 0[/itex]
    [itex]\hat u = U_r \hat r + u_\theta \hat \theta +u_z \hat z[/itex]
    a,b,c constants
    how would I solve this for u?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    i know that [tex]\nabla[/tex]([tex]\nabla\bullet\vec{u}[/tex]) - [tex]\nabla\times\nabla\times\vec{u}[/tex] = [tex]\nabla^{2}\vec{u}[/tex]

i dunno, what about this?..

Solve this equation for [tex]\nabla\times\nabla\times\vec{u}[/tex], then substitute into your equation, and simplify the resulting equation. The first term of your equation should reduce to (a+b)[tex]\nabla[/tex]([tex]\nabla\bullet\vec{u}[/tex]) +b[tex]\nabla^{2}\vec{u}[/tex] - (3a+2b)c[tex]\nabla[/tex]T(r) = 0.

You should be able to write out the laplacian explicitly and simplify all the individual components. If you can find some way to turn the value (3a+2b) into (3a+3b) you could probably simplify things a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook