Vector Calculus: Calculate Work via Line Integral from (-1,2) to (1,3)

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the work done by a force applied to a particle along a straight path. The force is defined by a vector and the line integral must be evaluated to find the work done. The next logical step is to parameterize the path and use the formula for calculating line integrals.
mikeyrichster

Homework Statement

A force is applied to a particle, defined by:

F(x,y)= (y^2, 2xy) << This is a verticle bracket with the y^2 ontop of the 2xy

The path of the particle is straight. The particle moves from (-1,2) to (1,3)

i) Calculate the work that the force F does as the particle moves along the path C by evaluating the appropreate line integral directly

I don't know where to start with this. I know that work: w = fd so to get the distance i must do some integration, but how do you integrate a vector like that?

Can somone please help!? - would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mikeyrichster said:

Homework Statement

A force is applied to a particle, defined by:

F(x,y)= (y^2, 2xy) << This is a verticle bracket with the y^2 ontop of the 2xy

What do you mean by that? Force is a vector, not a fraction?
The path of the particle is straight. The particle moves from (-1,2) to (1,3)

i) Calculate the work that the force F does as the particle moves along the path C by evaluating the appropreate line integral directly

I don't know where to start with this. I know that work: w = fd so to get the distance i must do some integration, but how do you integrate a vector like that?

w = fd only works for constant forces along straight lines. Perhaps you mean

[tex] W = \int_C \vec F \cdot d\vec R[/tex]

Hi there! thanks for your help

sorry about the fraction thing.. what i ment was that it is a vector but written vertically not horizontally... so still a vector but not (y^2, 2xy) .. I am damn useless at LaTeX so i can't make it with a large bracket and the y^2 at the top and the 2xy at the bottom.. hope that makes sense

Also i was only making a guess with the w=fd thing, I am sure your expression is what I am looking for as it uses vectors.

What would be the next logical thing to do with it?

Thanks again

Click on the formula below to see the LaTeX for writing the column vector.

[tex]\textbf{F} = \begin{pmatrix} y^2 \\ 2xy \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

mikeyrichster said:
What would be the next logical thing to do with it?

Thanks again

Parameterize the line as

[tex]\vec R(t) = \langle x(t), y(t), z(t)\rangle[/tex]

and use

[tex]\int_C \vec F \cdot d\vec R = \int_a^b \vec F(t)\cdot \frac {d\vec R}{dt}\, dt[/tex]

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields in multiple dimensions. It combines the concepts of vectors, which represent magnitude and direction, with the principles of calculus to solve problems related to motion, forces, and other physical quantities.

2. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total change of a scalar or vector field along a given curve or path. It involves breaking up the curve into small segments and calculating the contributions of each segment to the overall change. Line integrals can be used to calculate work, flux, and circulation, among other physical quantities.

3. How do you calculate work via line integral?

To calculate work via line integral, you need to first parameterize the given curve using a parameter t. Then, you need to find the dot product between the vector field and the tangent vector of the curve at each point. Finally, you integrate this dot product over the curve to find the total work done along the path.

4. What does the starting and ending point represent in the line integral?

The starting and ending points in a line integral represent the two endpoints of the given curve or path. These points define the boundaries of the integral and determine the path over which the integral is calculated. In the context of calculating work, the starting and ending points represent the initial and final positions of the object on which the work is being done.

5. How do you evaluate a line integral?

To evaluate a line integral, you need to first determine the limits of integration by plugging in the values of the starting and ending points into the parameterized equations for the curve. Then, you need to find the dot product between the vector field and the tangent vector at each point on the curve. Finally, you integrate this dot product over the limits of integration to find the total change of the field along the given curve.