• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Vector Calculus?

• Thread starter Voivode
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm in high school, and right now I'm taking AP Calculus. I'm interested in dual enrolling at a Community College over the summer. I've been looking at their Math selection, and they list Vector Calculus as a course. It sounds, from reading the http://www.nvcc.edu/depts/academic/coursecont/summaries/mth277.htm" [Broken], to be similar to Multivariable Calculus. Would it be worth taking? Or would I still have to take Multivariable Calculus after I graduate and go to college?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Depends on whether the course transfers. Some colleges will accept some courses, and some will accept others. Some will accept none. I'd check with the schools you're interested in attending.

That course description is the same as Multivariable Calculus at my school. So, you should be good with only taking Vector Calculus as opposed to taking both.

I'm just surprised you'd be able to take vector calculus after one course in high school calculus. At my school, vector calculus is the third in the applied math calculus program, which is considered to be quite a bit harder than the regular calculus program because it moves at a really quick pace. So, at least at my school, you have to take two intense calculus courses before you can take vector calculus. Are you sure you don't have to take anything else first?

I've heard 'Vector Calculus' used in two different contexts. Sometimes it's used as a blanket term for multivariable calculus (incorrectly, in my opinion), but most often, it refers to Vector fields, curl, divergence, Stokes' Theorem, etc. Make sure you know which one it is.

Regardless of what the course description is, you really should check with any institutions that are involved to see if they will accept/grant transfer credits. Never assume that just because a course description is similar that it's an automatic transfer.

Yea my uni teaches that in Calc 3 (multivariable calculus) but we also have a course in Vector Analysis that goes more into fields, curl, gradients etc. Its a pretty high level course compared to multivar so theres really no way to mix them up here.

I'm just a sophomore now, so I'm not really interested in any colleges in particular. Should I still take the course anyways and hope that in two years that the school that I go to will let me transfer the credits?

@thegreenlaser I think there's a placement test administered by the community college, so I'm hoping that since I'm supplementing my course with Michael Spivak's Calculus, I'll hopefully pass.