Finding Discrete Counterpart of Continuous Variable Energy Term

In summary, the discrete version of the energy term for liquid crystals is given by [\hat{k}\cdot(\vec{n}_{i}\times\vec{n}_{i+1})]^2, where \hat{k} is a unit vector, \vec{n}_{i} is a vector at lattice point 'i' and \vec{n}_{i+1} is a vector at the lattice point 'i+1'. This is derived from the continuous version by discretizing the space and approximating the derivatives with finite differences. The energy is affected by the alignment of the directors at neighboring lattice points, represented by the dot product between \vec{n}_{i} and \vec{n}_{i+1}. This is a good approximation of the
saravanan13
Dear Sir…
I am looking for a discrete counter part of a continuous variable.
the continuous version of energy term in a liquid crystal is given by [\vec{n}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{n})]^2. This is a square of a dot product between a vector 'n' and its curl field. My question is what is the exact discrete version of this energy term?
In a literature it is given as [\hat{k}\cdot(\vec{n}_{i}\times\vec{n}_{i+1})]^2, it is mentioned that \hat{k} is a unit vector, \vec{n}_{i} is a vector at lattice point 'i' and \vec{n}_{i+1} is a vector at the lattice point 'i+1'.

For your clarification I have attached a picture file. See second term in Eq. (1) and below theory for justification in the attached file.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• helimagnet.PNG
    helimagnet.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the discrete counterpart of a continuous variable in the energy term for liquid crystals. As a scientist in this field, I am happy to provide you with an explanation and further clarification.

The discrete version of the energy term you mentioned is indeed given by [\hat{k}\cdot(\vec{n}_{i}\times\vec{n}_{i+1})]^2, where \hat{k} is a unit vector, \vec{n}_{i} is a vector at lattice point 'i' and \vec{n}_{i+1} is a vector at the lattice point 'i+1'. This can be derived from the continuous version by discretizing the space into a lattice and approximating the continuous derivatives with finite differences.

To understand this further, let's look at the theory behind it. In liquid crystals, the molecules are arranged in a specific direction called the director, represented by the vector \vec{n}. The energy of the system is affected by the orientation of this director, which can be described by its curl field, \nabla\times\vec{n}. In the continuous version, the energy is given by [\vec{n}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{n})]^2, which represents the square of the dot product between \vec{n} and its curl field.

Now, in the discrete version, we can approximate the curl field at a lattice point by taking the difference between the director at that point and the director at the neighboring point, i.e. \nabla\times\vec{n} \approx \vec{n}_{i+1} - \vec{n}_{i}. This leads to the discrete version of the energy term, [\hat{k}\cdot(\vec{n}_{i}\times\vec{n}_{i+1})]^2, where \hat{k} is a unit vector perpendicular to the plane formed by \vec{n}_{i} and \vec{n}_{i+1}. This term represents the alignment of the directors at neighboring lattice points and is a good approximation of the continuous energy term.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the logic behind the discrete version of the energy term. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in this topic.

Scientist in Liquid Crystal Research

1. What is the difference between a continuous and discrete variable in terms of energy?

A continuous variable can take on any value within a range, while a discrete variable can only take on specific, distinct values. In terms of energy, this means that a continuous variable energy term could have an infinite number of possible values, while a discrete variable energy term would have a limited number of values.

2. Why is it important to find the discrete counterpart of a continuous variable energy term?

Finding the discrete counterpart allows for a more accurate representation of the system being studied. In many cases, a continuous variable may be used as an approximation, but finding the discrete counterpart can provide a more precise understanding of the system's energy behavior.

3. How is the discrete counterpart of a continuous variable energy term determined?

This process involves discretizing the continuous variable, which means dividing the range of possible values into a finite number of intervals. The energy term is then calculated for each interval, resulting in a set of discrete values that correspond to the continuous variable's energy values.

4. Can the discrete counterpart of a continuous variable energy term be used for all systems?

No, it depends on the nature of the system being studied. In some cases, a continuous variable may be a more accurate representation, while in others, a discrete counterpart may be necessary for a complete understanding of the system's energy behavior.

5. What are the benefits of using the discrete counterpart of a continuous variable energy term in scientific research?

Using the discrete counterpart allows for a more precise analysis of the system's energy behavior, which can lead to more accurate predictions and a deeper understanding of the system. It also allows for easier comparisons between different systems with discrete energy levels.