1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus

1. Aug 27, 2005 #1
    i having so much trouble with this vector calculus question, someone please help.

At time t, a moving particle has position r(t)=((e^t) + (e^-t))/2 i + ((e^t) - (e^-t))/2 j.

a) find the cartesian equation of the path

I know all you have to do is let the i component to equal x(t) and then make t the subject, and then with the j component let it equal y and sub t into y. but i can't get t to be the subject in the equation.
    someone please give it a go
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2005 #2
    i don't get it how can you get that equation from the original equation?
  4. Aug 27, 2005 #3
    This is because the coeffcient of the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate is the same: [tex]\left( {\frac{{e^t + e^{ - t} }}{2}} \right)[/tex]
  5. Aug 27, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's incorrect (or the original poster has edited the post since you wrote this). The vector equation is
    [tex]\left(\frac{e^t+ e^{-t}}{2}\right)i+ \left(\frac{e^t- e^{-t}}{2}\right)j[/tex]

The x and y components are not equal. It should be easy to see that the x-component is cosh(t) and the y-component is sinh(t). Now, use an identity: cosh2(t)- sinh2(t)= 1 so that x2-y2= 1, a hyperbola (in fact, that's why those called "hyperbolic" functions!).

If was not "easy" :biggrin: to see that [itex]\frac{e^t+ e^{-t}}{2}= cosh(t)[/itex] and that [itex]\frac{e^t- e^{-t}}{2}= sinh(t)[/itex], then it is a little harder: (et+ e-t)2= e2t+ 2+ e-2t. (You see how the et and e-t cancel when you mutiply them?)
    Similarly, (et-et)2= e2t+ 2+ e-2t. Subtract those and you just get 4 (which is why you need "2" in the denominators).
  6. Aug 27, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Halls already knew where this was going; that's how he figured out to do it that way. :smile:

If I had not already known where this was going, the first thing I would do is to recognize that you have two things of this form:

x = A + B
    y = A - B

(for your actual problem, A = exp(t) / 2 and B = exp(-t) / 2)

You might recognize that it's easy to isolate A and B by adding and subtracting the equations respectively. If not, you might recognize this is a system of two linear equations in A and B, which can then be solved by A and B.

So, in any case, the first thing I would have done is exactly that:

x + y = 2A
    x - y = 2B

exp(t) = x + y
    exp(-t) = x - y

And then, it should be clear how to get rid of t!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?