1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1

I am trying to find the tangent space of SL(n,real) where A(0) is defined to be the identity matrix.

First of all I worked on the case when n=2 and found that the tangent space was

[tex]A = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    a & b \\
    c & -a
    \end{array} \right) [/tex]

where a,b,c belong to the reals,

so I made the conjecture that for n in general, the tangent space would be the space of traceless matrices.

I attempted to prove this by showing that the tangent space and the space of traceless matrices were subsets of each other. Whilst I could show that an arbitary element of the tangent space is traceless, I could not show the converse.

Do I just need to try harder or is my conjecture just plain wrong?

PS. I used the standard result: d/dt (detA(0)) = tr(dA(0)/dt)

I have reason to believe that det(exp(A)) = exp(tr(A)) may also be important but have not found a way of using this yet.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2
    Done it

Not to worry, I have solved it by myself. It must have just been too hard for you Americans.:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?