1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Component Problem

1. Sep 17, 2004 #1
    Guys, I am stuck on this problem. I have the answer from the back of the book, but I don't know how to solve it. I tried to solve it by isolating Ux, Vy, and trying to solve it by simultaneous equations, but I always end up getting something like Vy = Vy , or something like Vy - Vy = 0. It keeps going in circles, maybe this isn't the way to go. But anyways, this is the problem:

(note: the x, y , and z are written as small sub next to the U, V, and W, I just can't type it like it is in the book)

The three vectors

U = Uxi + 3j + 2k
    V = -3i + Vyj + 3k
    W = -2i + 4j + Wzk

are mutually perpendicular. Use the dot product to determine the compnents of Ux, Vy, and Wz.

The answers in the back of the book are Ux = 2.857, Vy = 0.857, Wz = -3.143.

I am using the dot product definition: U dot V = UxVx+UyVy+UzVz

so I get (Ux)(-3)+(3)(Vy)+(2)(3) = 0

I set it all to zero because they are perpendicular to each other.

So simplifying for Ux, i get Ux = Vy + 2. THen I plug Vy +2 for Ux, but then I go in circles from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2004 #2
    Using the dot product definition: U dot V = UxVx+UyVy+UzVz = |U||V|cos(a)
    you have a system of 3 equation:

-3U + 3V + 6 = 0
    6 + 4V +3W = 0
    -2U + 12 + 2W = 0

You can solve it by Cramer or by substitution
    The solution are: U =20/7 V=6/7 W=-22/7

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  4. Sep 17, 2004 #3
    what is cramer, what do i substitute?

5. Sep 17, 2004 #4
    What do I put for the |U||V|, since those are the magnitudes, I don't know how to find them because we are given only the components, and some are (Ux,Vy,Wz) are not actuallly given, so I cant compute it in the radical to get a value.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  6. Sep 17, 2004 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Cinder are you familiar with System fo equations?, because i see no problem with Final's answer...

7. Sep 17, 2004 #6
    how did u get the -3, 4, and the 12, they are not given in the problem? They are only variables Ux, Vy, and Wz

8. Sep 17, 2004 #7

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

In Final's post U is Ux, V is Vy, and W is Wz.

9. Sep 17, 2004 #8
    Yes, but in his 3 equations, he has -3U in the first one, and 6, in the second, and , man sorry i just dont see it

10. Sep 17, 2004 #9
    can someone show me the steps to get those values, cause when i tried to isolate Ux, or Vy, or Wz, in a system, then i would get like Vy - Vy =0 or something useless.

11. Sep 17, 2004 #10

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

The first equation is U dot V
    The second equation is V dot W
    The third equation is U dot W

12. Sep 17, 2004 #11

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

There are 3 unknowns and 3 equations, this is a solvable system, check what you are doing.

13. Sep 17, 2004 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No offense intended, CinderBlockFist, but this a lot like a guy asking a question about calculus and not being able to do arithmetic. If you are studying linear algebra, you certainly would be expect to be able to solve 3 linear equations in 3 unknowns. You may have had that so long ago you have forgotten.

The three vectors are
    U = Uxi + 3j + 2k
    V = -3i + Vyj + 3k
    W = -2i + 4j + Wzk

U.V= -3Ux+ 3Vy+ 6= 0
    U.W= -2Ux+ 12+ 2Wz= 0
    W.V= 6+ 4Vy+ 3Wz= 0. Three linear equations in 3 unknowns.

There are many different ways to solve these but the simplest is probably:
    Multiply the first equation by 2 to get -6Ux+ 6Vy+ 12= 0
    Multiply the second equation by 3 to get -6Ux+ 36 +6Wz=0
    Of course, the purpose of the multiplications was to get Ux with the same coefficient, -6, in both. If we subtract the second of those equations from the first the two "-6Ux" terms cancel and we get 6Vy+ 12- 36- 6Wz= 0 or 6Vy- 6Wz- 24= 0.

The last equation did not have Ux in it to begin with so now I have two equations in 2 unknowns: 6Vy- 6Wz- 24= 0 and 6+ 4Vy+ 3Wz= 0. If we divide the first of those by 2 we get 3Vy- 3Wz- 12=0 and adding that two the second will cause the "3Wz" terms to cancel: 3Vy- 3Wz- 12+ 6+ 4Vy+ 3Wz= 7Vy- 6= 0. That one equation in one unknown we can solve to get Vy= 6/7.

Putting that back into the original equation 6+ 4Vy+ 3Wz= 0, we get 6+ 24/7+ 3Wz= 0 so 3Wz= -6- 24/7= -66/7 so Wz= -22/7. Finally, we can put Vy= 6/7 into the original equation -3Ux+ 3Vy+ 6= 0 which is the same as Ux= Vy+ 2= 6/7+ 2= 20/7.

Putting all of those together, Ux= 20/7, Vy= 6/7, and Wz= -22/7 just as Final said originally.

14. Sep 17, 2004 #13
    Ivy, THank you for the great response, yes I get it! I forgot, I was trying to solve using only 2 of the equations, no wonder i got no where. And I forgot about that technique to match of the coeff. Thanks again =)

15. Sep 17, 2004 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ah, yes! The ever-popular "fight with one hand tied behind my back method"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?