1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector component question

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    This question was just given on a CEE 270 exam (handwritten by professor). The way it's written doesn't make any sense to me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A force vector
    [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = ([itex]70.0 \hat{i} + F_{y} \hat{j} + 140.0 \hat{k}[/itex] ) N​

has a component of +20.0 N in the direction defined by the vector
    [itex]\vec{P}[/itex] = ([itex]6 \hat{i} - 3 \hat{j} - 2 \hat{k}[/itex] ) kN​

Solve for [itex]F_{y}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I asked the professor if I needed to rotate the coordinate system as the question states that a component of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is in the [itex]\vec{P}[/itex] direction. He said no rotation of the coordinate system should be needed.

I am very confused at how to even approach this problem. Please help. Does it even make sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The problem makes sense. When you want to know the projection of one vector onto another, what vector operation comes to mind?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    Wow... I didn't recognize it as a vector projection problem.... Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook