Vector Component Sum: Solving the Homework Statement

In summary, a vector component sum is a mathematical operation used to find the resultant vector of two or more individual vectors, taking into account their magnitude and direction. To solve a vector component sum problem, one must break down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components, add them together, and use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the resultant vector's magnitude and direction. The units for a vector component sum will depend on the units of the individual vectors involved. This method can be applied to real-life problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. Some common mistakes when solving vector component sum problems include not breaking down the vectors correctly, forgetting to use the Pythagorean theorem, and not considering the direction of
Bottomsouth

Homework Statement

Attached is the pic of the problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the inverse of tangent(Ay/Ax) and got 14.2 . I have a funny feeling I am not even close?

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 203
Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out with help from a previous question. Came out to be 345.8 for theta.

I appreciate your attempt at solving the problem and using the appropriate equations. However, I would advise double checking your calculations and perhaps seeking assistance from a classmate or teacher if you are unsure of your answer. It is always important to be confident in your solutions and to verify them before submitting your work. Good luck with the rest of your homework!

1. What is a vector component sum?

A vector component sum is a mathematical operation that involves finding the resultant vector of two or more individual vectors. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each vector to determine the overall magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

2. How do I solve a vector component sum problem?

To solve a vector component sum problem, you first need to break down each vector into its components (horizontal and vertical). Then, you can add the horizontal components together and the vertical components together. Finally, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

3. What are the units for a vector component sum?

The units for a vector component sum will depend on the units of the individual vectors being added. For example, if the individual vectors have units of meters and the resultant vector is in the same direction, the units for the resultant vector will also be meters.

4. Can I use vector component sum to solve problems in real-life?

Yes, vector component sum can be used to solve real-life problems involving multiple forces acting on an object. This can be useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving vector component sum problems?

Some common mistakes when solving vector component sum problems include not correctly breaking down the vectors into their components, forgetting to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector, and not considering the direction of the resultant vector when adding the components together.