1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector components help

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Man runs with velocity = 5m/s @ 25 degrees north of east for 10 minutes.
    How far to the north of his starting position does he end up?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know this has got to be the easiest problem to solve but im not getting it. this is what I did.

It asked for how far to the north, so I assumed they were looking for a final position. I used vector components (5cos25)i + 5(sin25)j, but I dont know how to solve for the distance x. I know theres a formula v = x / t but that didnt help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    Re: Vectors

Vector components is the way to go. They only ask for the distance travelled North, so use the component of the velocity along the y-axis (North) and from that magnitude (speed), you can use your Speed = distance/time equation.

i.e. x = vt

(remember to convert time to seconds).

OR

You could work out his displacement, using Velocity = displacement/time, i.e. Displacement = velocity x time and then break the displacement vector down into components.

Both should give you the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?