1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector components on the tip of hand on a clock

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    Hiya all, i'm stuck on a physics question set for homework. It asks "draw vector diagrams to scale to show the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity of the tip of the hand at quater-past, twenty past, twenty-five past and half past the hour." The hand is 20cm long so using the circumference formula and dividing it by time, i get 0.00034m/s as the velocity at quater past. I've drawn the hands and the x and y axis so is the x and y axis both 0.00034m/s or that x=0.00034m/s and y=om/s? or do i have to work out the velocity of the tip at those points and then work out the components? if so, how do i do that?
    thanx.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you will need to work out the components of motion at each postion. Think about it! How is the motion different at 3 then at 9?

4. Nov 6, 2005 #3
    so will i have to make the verticle 0?

5. Nov 6, 2005 #4
    and will the points be 0.2266666m/s at 20 past and 0.0001133333m/s at 25 past and then use FcosA on the points to find the vectors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?