1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector components question

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cyclist head due west on a straight road at 5.6m/s. A northeast wind is blowing at 10m/s. What is the effective speed of the tailwind?(resultant)

2. Relevant equations
    Cos 45 10
    Sin 45 10

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically I broke it down into its x and y components. Then added them together to the Rx and Ry and used Pythagorean to find the resultant. I just have one question though: when adding the x components for the wind and the cyclist speed. Would the Rx be -5.6m/s + 7.1( 7.1 is derived from cos 45 degrees *10) = 1.5? Or would the 5.6 be positive?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

To help you answer your question, it might help to write out explicit expressions for the vectors representing the cyclist and the wind velocities.

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3
    I did. Rx=ax+bx
    Ry=ay +by

I'm just wondering since it's 5.6 m/s due west which on a Cartesian plane would be a negative x whether I would incorporate the negative when trying to find rx

5. Sep 25, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, you can represent the velocity vector of the cyclist as ##\vec{C} = -5.6 \hat{x}## and that of the wind as ##\vec{W} = (10 \cos 45)\hat{x} + (10 \sin 45) \hat{y}##. Now, as you said, just add components to get the resultant.

From a more conceptual point of view, imagine a game of tug of war. Person A pulls to left with force 5.6N and person B to right with force 10cos45 ≈ 7.1 N. The person pulling to right wins, but only marginally. (winning by 7.1 - 5.6, not 7.1 + 5.6)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted