1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector components

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    Vector A has a magnitude of 17 (in some unspecified units) and makes an angle of 27° with the x axis, and a vector B has a length of 26 and makes an angle of 75° with the x axis. Find the components of the vector in the following.
    (a) C = A + B
    ( , )

(b) C = A - B
    ( , )

(c) C = A + 4B
    ( , )

(d) C= -A-7B
    ( , )

I did the entire problem and submitted it to webassign and it came back as wrong.

what i first did was draw vector a from the origin pointing up diagnally between the x and y axis. then from the tip of that i connected the tail of b pointing in also up diagnally between the x and y just with a sharper angle ( so the a is shaped like the bottwem half of the symbol '>' and then i added a '/' symbol to the tip)

so thats my picture. then i connected the end of A and the tip of B with a vector C. i then solved all the lengths of the smaller triangles then added ax and bx and ay and by to get the entire c vector's triangle for a+b = c. then i did ax-bx and ay-by to fnd a-b=c and so on.

my answers i got for the problem that webassign says is wrong:
    (a) c= a + b
    (39,56)

(b) c= a-b
    (-7,-25)

(c) c= a + b4
    (102,139)

(d) c= -a -7b
    (-168,-237)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2
    did you make any attempt at the problem? If you arent sure where to start, break the vectors A and B into their x and y components

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook