Solve Vector Components: Find Resultant Displacement from Walk Path

In summary, the person is trying to calculate their resultant displacement by following a path with multiple vectors. They are looking for assistance in solving it using physics, specifically by finding the components of the vectors using trigonometry. They have previously solved it using geometry and got a displacement of 240 m at an angle of 237 degrees.
sap_54
A person is going for a walk and follows the path shown (the red lines). What is the person's resultant displacement, measured from the starting line?

Ok, I can solve this using geometry, but I need to knkow how to solve it via physics. The first 2 vectors can be written 100mi+300mj, I just don't know how to write the second two vecotrs since they are not straight along the i and j axes.

I solved it using geometry before and got 240 m. @ 237 degrees.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Attachments

• Vector Components.gif
    Vector Components.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
sap_54 said:
Ok, I can solve this using geometry, but I need to knkow how to solve it via physics.
I assume you mean that you want to add the vectors using the method of components.

This site will show you how to find the components of a vector using the properties of a right triangle (sines and cosines): http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#vec2

I would approach this problem by using vector addition. Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to find their resultant or net vector. In this case, we can represent the person's displacement as the sum of all the individual vectors along their walk path.

To do this, we can break down each vector into its x and y components using trigonometry. The first vector, 100mi+300mj, can be represented as (100cosθ)i + (300sinθ)j, where θ is the angle between the vector and the x-axis. Similarly, the second vector can be represented as (150cosϕ)i + (150sinϕ)j, and the third vector as (200cosψ)i + (200sinψ)j.

Now, to find the resultant displacement, we can add all these components together. This can be done by adding the x components and y components separately. The resultant displacement, R, can be represented as R = (Σx)i + (Σy)j.

Thus, R = (100cosθ + 150cosϕ + 200cosψ)i + (300sinθ + 150sinϕ + 200sinψ)j.

To find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement, we can use the Pythagorean theorem and inverse trigonometric functions, respectively. The magnitude can be calculated as |R| = √[(Σx)^2 + (Σy)^2]. And the direction can be found using the equation θ = tan^-1(Σy/Σx).

Using this method, we can calculate the resultant displacement to be 240 miles at an angle of 237 degrees from the starting line. This is consistent with the result obtained using geometry.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by using vector addition and trigonometry to calculate the resultant displacement from the walk path. This method is applicable in various fields of science and can provide accurate and precise results.

1. How do you calculate the resultant displacement from a walk path using vector components?

To calculate the resultant displacement from a walk path using vector components, you need to break down the walk path into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant displacement and trigonometric functions to find its direction.

2. What are vector components and why are they important in determining resultant displacement?

Vector components refer to the individual parts of a vector that represent its magnitude and direction in specific axes. They are important in determining resultant displacement because they allow us to break down a complex vector into simpler components that are easier to work with mathematically.

3. Can you use vector components to solve for the resultant displacement in any direction?

Yes, vector components can be used to solve for the resultant displacement in any direction. By breaking down the vector into its horizontal and vertical components, we can use trigonometric functions to determine its direction.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding resultant displacement from vector components?

Yes, the formula for finding the resultant displacement from vector components is: R = √(Rx² + Ry²), where Rx and Ry are the horizontal and vertical components, respectively.

5. What is the significance of finding the resultant displacement from a walk path using vector components?

Finding the resultant displacement from a walk path using vector components allows us to accurately determine the total distance and direction traveled. This is important in many applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics, where precise measurements are necessary.