Vector componets / Kinematics

In summary, when finding vector components, you should use the sine for the y component and cosine for the x component. It is important to have a clear understanding of what cos(x) and sin(x) mean in order to apply them correctly. Additionally, the angle of the vector will determine which equation to use. If you are struggling, it may be helpful to review the definitions of cos(x) and sin(x).
PhillyGixxer
For finding vextor componets for do i always us the sine to find y comp
and cos for x -comp ?

Also with kinematics when do i know which equation to use. Any tips or site with info would be great. This is my first post be gentle :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
You should spend a few minutes to learn what cos(x) and sin(x) means. Then you can apply that definition to the problem.

In general, you cannot use cos(x) for the x component nor sin(y) for the y component.

Your question shows me that you do not have a full understanding of cos(x) and sin(x).

cyrusabdollahi said:
You should spend a few minutes to learn what cos(x) and sin(x) means. Then you can apply that definition to the problem.

In general, you cannot use cos(x) for the x component nor sin(y) for the y component.

Your question shows me that you do not have a full understanding of cos(x) and sin(x).

I did get that part (putting my head back in the book). I also think i am just getting really tired.

sin - o/h

cos - a/h

I was looking at the angles wrong.

thats right. it depends if the angle of the vector is given wrt the x or y axis

1. What are vector components?

Vector components refer to the individual parts of a vector in a specific direction or coordinate system. They are typically represented as horizontal and vertical components, or x and y components.

2. How are vector components calculated?

The horizontal (x) and vertical (y) components of a vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions. The x component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the horizontal axis. The y component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the sine of the angle.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in kinematics?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position over time. It includes both the speed and direction of the object. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be either positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down) and is also a vector quantity.

4. How do we determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be determined by using the angle formed between the vector and a reference axis, usually the horizontal axis. This angle is typically measured in a counterclockwise direction from the reference axis.

5. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in kinematics?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, or size, and do not have direction. Examples of scalar quantities in kinematics include speed and time. Vector quantities, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction. Examples in kinematics include displacement, velocity, and acceleration.