1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Cross Product

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    This is the question:

Two vectors A and B have magnitude A = 3 and B = 3. Their vector product is A X B = -5k+2i. What is the angle Between A and B.

OK so I'll start with what I do know.

I do know that the cross product is the magnitude of A times magnitude of B times sin theta of B.
    I end up with

3*3sinTHETA = 5.4 ( i got 5.4 from finding the magnitude with the components that they gave me )

eventually getting an angle of 37 degrees by dividing by 9 and using arcsin

im not sure what this angle is though..I think it is the angle of B but if it is how does that help me to find the angle between A and B ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The [itex]38^o[/itex] angle is the actual angle between the two vectors [itex]\vec{A},\ \vec{B}[/itex].
  4. Sep 13, 2006 #3
    This is not true.

The cross product is:
    [tex] \vec A \times \vec B = \hat n |AB \sin \theta_{AB}| [/tex]

where [itex] \hat n [/itex] is a unit vector with direction found by the right hand rule. It is orthogonal to the plane formed by [itex] \vec A [/itex] and [itex] \vec B [/itex].

The MAGNITUDE of the cross product however, can be written as:

[tex] |\vec A \times \vec B| = |AB \sin \theta_{AB}| [/tex]

Notice that [itex] \hat n [/itex] disappears because it's magnitude is unity (equal to one).

Also note that [itex] \theta_{AB} [/itex] is the smaller angle between vectors [itex] \vec A [/itex] and [itex] \vec B [/itex].

Does that help?
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?