1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector (Cross) Product

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    I was reading my physics book, and I stumbled across this : [tex]A_{x} \hat{i} \times B_{y} \hat{j} = (A_{x}B_{y})\hat{ i} \times \hat{ j}[/tex].
    I am trying to figure out, how can they use the distribute property ( I presume) like that? How did they factor the Ax and Bx out? I would have assumed it would have multiplied out like this : [tex](A_{x}B_{y})\hat{i} \times \hat{j} = (A_{x}B_{y})\hat{i\times}(A_{x}B_{y}) \hat{j}[/tex] I thought those were cross products, not multiplication signs.

Can anyone clear up things please?

Thanks beforehand.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2
    if you double A in the first equation what happens to the answer. if you double B what happens?
  4. Aug 31, 2008 #3
    BTW, cross product is not a real vector. its a pseudovector.
  5. Aug 31, 2008 #4
    I'm still lost
  6. Aug 31, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

It's a property of the cross product. To show that it is permissible, ask yourself what is (AxBy) i x j? Then what is Axi X Byj ? How would you get the magnitude of the latter product? What formula should you use?
  7. Aug 31, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The standard way to take the cross product of vectors [itex]A_x\vec{i}+ A_y\vec{j}+ A_z\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]B_x\vec{i}+B_y\vec{j}+ B_z\vec{k}[/itex] is to use the (symbolic) determinant:
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ A_x & A_y & A_z \\ B_x & B_y & B_z\end{array}\right|[/tex]

Here, [itex]A_y= A_z= B_x= B_z= 0[/itex] so that is
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ A_x & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & B_y & 0\end{array}\right|[/tex]
    What is that?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?