Vector Cross Product Homework: Find 3rd Vector Perpendicular to C & D

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a third vector perpendicular to two given vectors, C and D, which are known to be orthogonal. The suggested approach is to use the cross product formula [AxB] = |A||B|sin(theta) and to manipulate the given equations to find the desired vector. The final solution is given as CXD = 2(AB)*BXA, where AXB = BXB = 0.
xcgirl

Homework Statement

C= B|A| + A|B|
D= A|B|-B|A|
C and D are orthogonal
Find a third vector perpendicular to both C and D

Homework Equations

[AxB] = |A||B|sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to find the answer I need to find the cross product of C and D. I have done similar problems, but the unit components (i,j,k) have always been given. I can't figure out a way to do this without having those.
Thanks for any help, even a hint!

Physics news on Phys.org
CXD = (B|A| + A|B|)X( A|B|-B|A|)
Do the cross multiplication of right hand side. Note that AXA = BXB = 0 And AXB = -BXA
You can multiply the magnitudes of A and B directly.

so I can do...

BxA|A||B| + BxB|A||A| + AxA|B||B| - AxB|B||A|
BxA|A||B| - AxB|B||A|

so would that be the final answer? thanks for the help, this all just seems a little weird to me. I didnt know that you could just essentially "foil" it like that

Last step
CXD = 2(AB)*BXA, because AXB = BXB = 0

thanks, you're a lifesaver! i totally get it now

1. What is the vector cross product?

The vector cross product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a third vector that is perpendicular to the original two vectors. It is also known as the vector product or cross product.

2. How do you find the vector cross product?

To find the vector cross product, you must first calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix using the components of the two vectors. The resulting vector will have three components, one for each dimension, and will be perpendicular to the original two vectors.

3. Why is it important to find a third vector perpendicular to two given vectors?

Finding a third vector perpendicular to two given vectors is important in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces, determine the orientation of objects, and create 3D visualizations.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the vector cross product?

Sure, let's say we have two vectors, A = (2, 3, 4) and B = (5, 6, 7). To find the cross product, we first set up a 3x3 matrix with the unit vectors i, j, and k in the first row, and the components of A and B in the second and third rows, respectively. Then, we take the determinant of this matrix, which results in the vector (-3, 6, -3). This vector is perpendicular to both A and B.

5. How do you find a third vector perpendicular to two given vectors if one or both of the given vectors are parallel or collinear?

If one or both of the given vectors are parallel or collinear, the cross product will result in a zero vector, as there is no unique vector perpendicular to them. In this case, it is not possible to find a third vector perpendicular to the given vectors.