1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector cross product

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a homework problem, I am currently reading the Derivation of potential of a charged particle in Electric and Magnetic field from the book Mechanics by Symon (I attached the image of the page), I need to know how to expand the vector cross product
    such as $$\vec{v}\times({\nabla}{\times}\vec{A})=?$$

2. Relevant equations
    ax(bxc)=(a.c)b-(a.b)c (Lagrange's formula)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to expand the vector triple product using Lagrange's formula, but what i am getting is,
    $$(\vec{v}.\vec{A})\nabla-(\nabla.\vec{A})\vec{v}$$
    As far as I know $$(\nabla.\vec{A})\vec{v}\neq(\vec{v}.\nabla\vec{A})$$ Is there any mistake I did during my calculation or should I use some other formula? please help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot just commute the differential operator with the fields in the way you have done. In order to apply the bac-cab rule to an expression with a ##\nabla## you must manipulate the end expression in such a way that the nabla acts on the same vectors before and after applying it.

4. Sep 28, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write it out in detail. Using ##D_u f## to stand for ##\partial f/\partial u## for ##u = x,y ,z##, the ##x##-component of ##\vec{v} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})## is
    $$ \left(\vec{v} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) \right)_x = v_y (\nabla \times \vec{A})_z - v_z (\nabla \times \vec{A})_y \\
    = v_y (D_x A_y - D_y A_x) - v_z (D_z A_x -D_x A_z)
    $$.
    Expand it out and see what you get, then do the same type of thing for the ##y##- and ##z##-components. In particular, note that the components of ##\vec{v}## are not differentiated, so cannot lie to the right of the ##D##-sign, unless you close it out by putting it inside parentheses, like this: ##(D_x A_y)##.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted