Vector cross product

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem, I am currently reading the Derivation of potential of a charged particle in Electric and Magnetic field from the book Mechanics by Symon (I attached the image of the page), I need to know how to expand the vector cross product
such as $$\vec{v}\times({\nabla}{\times}\vec{A})=?$$

Homework Equations

ax(bxc)=(a.c)b-(a.b)c (Lagrange's formula)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to expand the vector triple product using Lagrange's formula, but what i am getting is,
$$(\vec{v}.\vec{A})\nabla-(\nabla.\vec{A})\vec{v}$$
As far as I know $$(\nabla.\vec{A})\vec{v}\neq(\vec{v}.\nabla\vec{A})$$ Is there any mistake I did during my calculation or should I use some other formula? please help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-09-28 20.51.10.png
    Screenshot 2016-09-28 20.51.10.png
    118 KB · Views: 382

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You cannot just commute the differential operator with the fields in the way you have done. In order to apply the bac-cab rule to an expression with a ##\nabla## you must manipulate the end expression in such a way that the nabla acts on the same vectors before and after applying it.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem, I am currently reading the Derivation of potential of a charged particle in Electric and Magnetic field from the book Mechanics by Symon (I attached the image of the page), I need to know how to expand the vector cross product
such as $$\vec{v}\times({\nabla}{\times}\vec{A})=?$$

Homework Equations

ax(bxc)=(a.c)b-(a.b)c (Lagrange's formula)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to expand the vector triple product using Lagrange's formula, but what i am getting is,
$$(\vec{v}.\vec{A})\nabla-(\nabla.\vec{A})\vec{v}$$
As far as I know $$(\nabla.\vec{A})\vec{v}\neq(\vec{v}.\nabla\vec{A})$$ Is there any mistake I did during my calculation or should I use some other formula? please help.

Write it out in detail. Using ##D_u f## to stand for ##\partial f/\partial u## for ##u = x,y ,z##, the ##x##-component of ##\vec{v} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A})## is
$$ \left(\vec{v} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) \right)_x = v_y (\nabla \times \vec{A})_z - v_z (\nabla \times \vec{A})_y \\
= v_y (D_x A_y - D_y A_x) - v_z (D_z A_x -D_x A_z)
$$.
Expand it out and see what you get, then do the same type of thing for the ##y##- and ##z##-components. In particular, note that the components of ##\vec{v}## are not differentiated, so cannot lie to the right of the ##D##-sign, unless you close it out by putting it inside parentheses, like this: ##(D_x A_y)##.

Last edited: