Vector cross products involving magnetic forces

In summary, the maximum torque on the wire is when the normal to the cross section is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
ACLerok
magnetic forces and torque

The plane of a rectangular loop of wire with a width of 5.00cm and a height of 8.00cm is parallel to a magnetic field of magnitude 0.200T. The loop carries a current of 6.60A.

What is the maximum torque that can be obtained with the same total length of wire carrying the same current in this magnetic field?

I found the torque that acts around the loop to be 5.28*10^-3 N*m. I figured that since the torque = IBA sin(theta) and that the length, area, and magnetic field must the same, the maximum torque must be when sin(theta)=1. Wouldnt' this mean that the torque I found is the max amount?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help me out?

The question is somewhat ambiguous. In any case, if the wire is planar the maximum torque on it will be when the normal to the cross section is perpendicular to the magnetic field. I think the question is what combination of length and width must the wire have in order to maximize the torque - subject to the constraint that the total length of the wire is fixed.

I say it's ambiguous because it's possible that shapes other than rectangular might lead to yet greater torque - such as a wire formed into a circular loop or something with many loops! My guess would be they are asking for the rectangular case.

I don't think i understand what they are asking for. I tried changing the area of the rectangle by making one side .07 and the other 006 to find the maximum area possible but i don't know if its rihgt. Anyone?

Last edited:
help please!?

The torque depends on the product of the IL (force = current times length) and W (moment). If L + W is fixed then how can you maximize the product of ILW? (I.e. how do you maximize the AREA of a rectangle if its perimeter is held constant?)

Tide said:
The torque depends on the product of the IL (force = current times length) and W (moment). If L + W is fixed then how can you maximize the product of ILW? (I.e. how do you maximize the AREA of a rectangle if its perimeter is held constant?)

does it involve some method of calculus? maybe taking the derivative and setting it to zero? Sorry, i am totally stuck on this problem.

You can do it without calculus. You want to maximize the area A = LW with fixed perimeter. Let P be the perimeter P = 2(L+W). Then A = L(P/2 - L) which you will recognize as the equation for a parabola. You can find the vertex of the parabola by completing the square so that

[tex]A = \left( \frac {P}{2} \right)^2 - \left( L - \frac {P}{4} \right)^2[/tex]

so that the maximum occurs when L = P/4 (and therefore W = P/4) which makes the shape a square!

ok, i found the perimeter to be .26m so each side of the square would be .26/4= .065m. i then found the area of the square with the length and multiplied it by the magnitude of the magnetic field and the current and got .00557 and that is still wrong i am told.

Last edited:
You should always write out the units when referring to a physical quantity.

Who told you it's "wrong" and what is the answer "supposed" to be?

its a problem on my physics webassign. it only gives my a couple chances before i get the problem wrong.

Hmm. That's strange. Have you checked your units? I don't know what else to tell you.

Are you sure that you must keep the shape to be a rectangle...becuase a single circle would give you more torque than a square...I would guess that the ambiguous question is asking for the shape that is planar and makes a single loop. in tis case, a circle will provide you with the maximum torque.

Spectre5 said:
Are you sure that you must keep the shape to be a rectangle...becuase a single circle would give you more torque than a square...I would guess that the ambiguous question is asking for the shape that is planar and makes a single loop. in tis case, a circle will provide you with the maximum torque.

if that's the case, the length of the wire would just be the perimeter correct?

yea...the length of the wire would be the circumference...which is 2(pi)r

So the perimeter is equal to that...divide by 2(PI) and then you know r...then use area of a triangle to get its area

thanks alot! i didnt use the triangle equation. i just found r and then used the area of a circle equation.

1. What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is represented by the symbol "x" and is also known as a cross product or vector product.

2. How is a vector cross product different from a scalar cross product?

A vector cross product involves two vectors and produces a vector as the result, while a scalar cross product involves two vectors and produces a scalar (a single number) as the result. The vector cross product is used to calculate magnetic forces, while the scalar cross product is used to calculate torque.

3. What is the significance of vector cross products in relation to magnetic forces?

Vector cross products are used to calculate the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. This force, known as the Lorentz force, is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.

4. How do you calculate a vector cross product involving magnetic forces?

To calculate a vector cross product involving magnetic forces, you first need to determine the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charged particle. Then, you can use the formula F = qv x B, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity vector, and B is the magnetic field vector. The resulting vector will be the direction and magnitude of the magnetic force on the charged particle.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector cross products involving magnetic forces?

Vector cross products involving magnetic forces are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electric motors. They are also important in understanding the Earth's magnetic field and its effects on compasses and navigation. In addition, they are used in designing and understanding the behavior of spacecraft in relation to the Earth's magnetic field.