1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector decomposition (Helmholtz)

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    I have to show that a generic vector can be decomposed into an irrotational and solenoidal component:

V(r) = -Grad[phi(r)] + Curl[A(r)]

I'm not sure how to start. Do I need to take the curl or div of V and use a vector identity? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2
    Helmholtz' Theorem starts with the two components in my original post and defines the divergence and curl as:

div[V] = s(r)
    and
    curl[V] = c(r), where div[c(r)] = 0

But I can't find anything about how we can define a generic vector as two components:

V = -grad[phi] + curl[A], where "phi" is the scalar potential and "A" is the vector potential. I need to do this before I can show that s(r) and c(r) uniquely specify the vector.

I hope that makes my problem a little more clear.

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Taking the divergence/curl of both sides of this equation seems like a good place to start. What do you get when you do that?

P.S. You may wish to use boldface font to denote vectors, to make things clear.

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4
    I actually just found an easy way of showing it using projection operators. Thanks for the reply.

Consider this question solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook