1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Degrees Problem

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ax= -4.00 , Ay= -8.00
    Please give your answer in the interval (0,360) degrees for theta.

2. Relevant equations

Theta = ______ degrees

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried inverse of tangent (-8/-4) = 63.4 degrees for theta, but its telling me I am wrong. Tried the degree in negative and the computer showed up wrong also. Any Ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmm... well just looking at Ax and Ay, what quadrant does A lie in? Does theta=63.4 degrees lie in that quadrant? :wink:

The problem is that the inverse tangent of (Ay/Ax) always returns a value between 0 and 180 degrees. But the tangent function has a period of 180 degrees, so tan(theta)=tan(theta+n*180)=Ay/Ax implies that theta=ArcTan(Ay/Ax)-n*180 for some integer value of n and not just theta=ArcTan(Ay/Ax).

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    Remember the unit circle. The angle is in the third quadrant.

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    It is in the 3rd quadrant making it positive for tangent. Just what would the variable n be?

Thanks for the help, appreciate it

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5
    Got it now, since its int he 3rd quadrant we add 180 degrees. I knew it was something so simple. so its 243.4 degrees for theta.

Thanks,

7. Jan 20, 2009 #6
    Choose n such that your angle is in the correct quadrant. In this case, what are the limits of n?

8. Jan 20, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly; A is in the 3rd quadrant.

The tangent is positive in both the third quadrant and the first quadrant, and the arctangent always returns a value in the first to quadrants. That is why you are getting an angle that is in the first quadrant.

Since A is in the 3rd quadrant, 'n' will be any integer that gives a theta in between 180 degrees and 270 degrees. In this case, n=-1 should do nicely.

9. Jan 20, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?