1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Diagram *re-post

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    The question was, "In a total time of 2.0 min, a duck on a pond paddles
    22 m [36deg N of E] and then paddles another 65 m [25 deg E of S]"

a) Draw a vector diagram that represents this motion. Be sure to include
    a scale and compass.

I've given a new try with this diagram. Could anyone please correct it for me?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Link to the diagram:
    [​IMG]

p.s / To find the Total Displacement, should I use the x & y component added together
    then use the inverse tan to find the angle and direction?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2
    check your methods for drawing vectors. After you draw the first vector you draw the second vector from the tip of previous one. If you do they way you drew the vectors check out... http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#veccon and the links within that web...that should help.

4. Nov 7, 2007 #3
    Thanks again Mindy,
    I think I got it now!

[​IMG]

What do you think?

5. Nov 7, 2007 #4
    also according to your drawing you have the correct distance traveled but distance and displacement are not the same thing.

Displacement is a vector so you have to break every vector into its x and y components. you can only add x components with x components and so on.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  6. Nov 7, 2007 #5
    Ok ^^
    Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?