1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector direction

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1

klm

vector E= (125 i - 250 j) what are the magnitude and direction?
    ok so what i did was found out that vector E should be in Quad. 4. and that the magnitude will be 279.51 b/c you do the square root of 125^2 + 250^2 = 279.51. but i am having trouble understanding how to get the direction. i think my problem is trying to see how to draw the picture.
    i know that you go +125 on the x axis and then down -250 on the y axis, so the vector will be in quad 4. but what angle are you trying to find? what i did was tan^-1 (125/250) = 26 and then i added 270 and got 296 as my angle. is this the correct way to do this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Nothing wrong with what you did. You found the angle with the -y-axis, then added 270. Sounds good to me! You are following standard practice of measuring the angle with respect to the +x axis using counterclockwise as +.

You can also, of course, start by finding the angle with respect to the x-axis using tan^-1(250/125) = 63.4 degrees below the x-axis. Subtract that from 360 and you get back to 296.6 degrees (same as you did).

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is a correct way to denote the direction of that vector. You could have also said, "26 degrees from the negative y axis" or "64 degrees from the positive x axis." That would have also been a correct representation of the direction.

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4

klm

thank you both very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?