Vector Displacement Problem #2

In summary, you arrive at the treasure by walking east along the yellow brick road for 370 paces, then north for 530 paces. However, when you get there you find an angry dragon blocking your way. To avoid it, you set off along the yellow brick road at an angle of 60 degrees to the right of north.
Lamnia
The treasure map in the figure gives the following directions to the buried treasure: "Start at the old oak tree, walk due north for 530 paces, then due east for 130 paces. Dig." But when you arrive, you find an angry dragon just north of the tree. To avoid the dragon, you set off along the yellow brick road at an angle 60 degrees east of north. After walking 370 paces you see an opening through the woods. Which direction should you go to reach the treasure?
How far should you go to reach the treasure?

I've made several unsuccessful attempts at this problem.

I believe that this should be a vector subtraction problem.

A = 130i + 530j
B = 370cos60i + 370sin60j

A-B = -55i - (530-185*sqrt3)j

inverse tangent /theta = (-55/-(530-185*sqrt3))
distance = sqrt(55^2 + (530-185*sqrt3)^2)

However, these calculations don't lead to the correct answers.

I'd appreciate any nudges in the right direction so that I might reattempt this problem in the proper fashion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lamnia said:
The treasure map in the figure gives the following directions to the buried treasure: "Start at the old oak tree, walk due north for 530 paces, then due east for 130 paces. Dig." But when you arrive, you find an angry dragon just north of the tree. To avoid the dragon, you set off along the yellow brick road at an angle east of north. After walking 370 paces you see an opening through the woods. Which direction should you go to reach the treasure?
How far should you go to reach the treasure?

I've made several unsuccessful attempts at this problem.

I believe that this should be a vector subtraction problem.

A = 130i + 530j
B = 370cos60i + 370sin60j

A-B = -55i - (530-185*sqrt3)j

inverse tangent /theta = (-55/-(530-185*sqrt3))
distance = sqrt(55^2 + (530-185*sqrt3)^2)

However, these calculations don't lead to the correct answers.

I'd appreciate any nudges in the right direction so that I might reattempt this problem in the proper fashion.

What is the angle east of north?

I've just edited to include that necessary information. Sorry for the initial exclusion!

Your 60 degrees is measured from WHAT axis?
if it was zero degrees instead would that be 370 i ?

According to the diagram accompanying the problem the angle is 60 degrees to the right of the y-axis. So... maybe I should be using 30 degrees as the angle to calculate the i and j components of the displacement along the yellow brick road and subtract that from the displacement of the treasure itself?

yeah.

don't just assume that every formula [ x= r cos(theta)] will work with the data given,
or that every angle in the problem has to be the "right theta" .

1. What does "Vector Displacement Problem #2" refer to?

"Vector Displacement Problem #2" is a term used to describe a specific type of mathematical problem that involves the displacement of objects in a given vector space.

2. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of objects called vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. These vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar to represent displacement or movement in space.

3. What makes Vector Displacement Problem #2 different from other vector displacement problems?

Vector Displacement Problem #2 is typically more complex and challenging than other vector displacement problems because it involves multiple vectors and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. This requires a deeper understanding of vector operations and mathematical computations.

4. How is Vector Displacement Problem #2 relevant in scientific research?

Vector Displacement Problem #2 is relevant in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is often used to model and analyze real-world scenarios, such as the movement of particles, forces acting on objects, and the motion of vehicles.

5. What are some strategies for solving Vector Displacement Problem #2?

Some common strategies for solving Vector Displacement Problem #2 include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using graphical representations and vector diagrams, and applying vector algebra and trigonometry principles. It is also helpful to carefully define the problem and identify any known or unknown variables before attempting to solve it.