How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of Vector B in a Closed Hiking Trail Problem?

In summary, the hiker's displacement consists of three vectors, A, B, and C. Vector A is 2500 m in a direction 25.8° north of east, vector B is in a direction 43.1° east of south, and vector C is in a direction 32.2° north of west. Since the hiker ends up back where she started, the resultant displacement is zero, or A + B + C = 0. To find the magnitude of vector B, the hiker attempts to use the law of sines to solve for the angles of the triangle formed by the three vectors. However, the online answer checker does not accept the calculated answer. The hiker seeks help and is
malik123

Homework Statement

The route followed by a hiker consists of three displacement vectors A, B and C. Vector A is along a measured trail and is 2500 m in a direction 25.8° north of east. Vector B is not along a measured trail, but the hiker uses a compass and knows that the direction is 43.1° east of south. Similarly, the direction of vector C is 32.2° north of west. The hiker ends up back where she started, so the resultant displacement is zero, or A + B + C = 0. Calculate the magnitude of vector B.

Homework Equations

This is for my physics course. The teacher expects us to know vectors already, and I have never had them. I have tried for over 3 hours to solve this question. No luck.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that the vectors form a triangle since the displacement is 0. So I tried to assign the correct values to the interior of the triangle, and then use the law of sines to find the magnitude of vector b.

I bet there is a better way to solve this but I have no idea.

Please help me guys!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
malik123 said:
I realize that the vectors form a triangle since the displacement is 0. So I tried to assign the correct values to the interior of the triangle, and then use the law of sines to find the magnitude of vector b.
That's the correct way to do it.

Quincy said:
That's the correct way to do it.

I guess I am just getting the incorrect angles.

malik123, show your work so we can see what you've done. We can look for your error.

hage567 said:
malik123, show your work so we can see what you've done.

Amazingly quick response. Ok! one sec

Ok the angles I got were:

58 degrees, opposite to the B side.
14.7 opposite to 2500.
107.3 opposite to the x axis.

I found these using alternate angles. I think I most certainly did it wrong, cause my answer is not correct.

Then I used the law of sines,

Sin 14.7/2500 = sin58/ B

B = 8354.9

Which is wrong!

Just so you don't get the wrong idea. I am not trying to come get a free answer. I just need a little help or direction, and then I can try once again to solve the problem!

Thanks

Last edited:
I found these using alternate angles. I think I most certainly did it wrong, cause my answer is not correct.

Show how u used Laws of Sine cos. I found the angles to be the same as yrs.:wink:

DarylMBCP said:
Show how u used Laws of Sine cos. I found the angles to be the same as yrs.:wink:

I just did. So what did I do wrong?

Lol, I was typing my comment while u were typing yr solution. K, anw, tht's the same answer I got.

DarylMBCP said:
Lol, I was typing my comment while u were typing yr solution. K, anw, tht's the same answer I got.

Thanks for the help.

For some reason though, the online answer checker won't accept this answer as correct. =(

malik123 said:
Thanks for the help.

For some reason though, the online answer checker won't accept this answer as correct. =(

Hey do you go to UGA or use a website called loncapa?

Kennyh said:
Hey do you go to UGA or use a website called loncapa?

Loncapa

Your interior angles are wrong, 58 is right though. Draw a picture of where A and B meet. Draw a horizantal line at the vertex and label what you know.

Jebus_Chris said:
Your interior angles are wrong, 58 is right though. Draw a picture of where A and B meet. Draw a horizantal line at the vertex and label what you know.

I tried again and I keep getting the same angles.

I don't know what I am doing wrong!

1. What is a vector displacement problem?

A vector displacement problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the magnitude and direction of a vector, given its initial and final positions. It is commonly encountered in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

2. How do I solve a vector displacement problem?

To solve a vector displacement problem, you will need to use mathematical techniques such as vector addition, subtraction, and multiplication. You will also need to understand concepts such as magnitude, direction, and components of vectors. Practicing with different types of vector problems can help improve your skills.

3. What are some common applications of vector displacement problems?

Vector displacement problems are used in various fields, including mechanics, kinematics, and electromagnetism. They are essential for understanding motion and forces in physical systems and are used to solve real-world problems in engineering and physics.

4. What are some tips for solving vector displacement problems?

Here are some tips for solving vector displacement problems:

• Draw a diagram to visualize the problem.
  • Break down the vectors into components along the x and y axes.
  • Use vector addition and subtraction to find the resultant vector.
  • Pay attention to the direction of the vectors and use trigonometric functions to determine angles.
  • Check your answer to make sure it makes sense.

5. Where can I find more practice problems for vector displacement?

There are many resources available for practicing vector displacement problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice worksheets. You can also try searching for specific types of vector displacement problems or practice questions on search engines or educational websites.