Solve Vector Dynamics Problems with Initial and Final Velocity | 100 s

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various parameters for an aircraft with an initial velocity of 90(i+j)ms-1 and a final velocity of 10(10i+10j+3k)ms-1, and a time period of 100s. The average velocity and speed are calculated, as well as the constant acceleration in unit vector notation and its magnitude. The discussion also touches on the vertical height the plane has risen and the distance it has traveled during the 100s period. There is some ambiguity in the interpretation of the z-axis as representing altitude or northward direction.
yardy_genius

Homework Statement

An air craft has an initial velocity of 90(i+ j)ms-1and a final velocity of 10(10i + 10j +3k) ms-1. The time taken for this change to occur is 100 s. Determine the:
a)average velocity for the 100 s period.
b)average speed for the period.
c)constant acceleration of the airplane in unit vector notation.
d)magnitude of the acceleration.
e)vertical height the plane has risen.
f)distance plane traveled for the 100 s period

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated all the above but i am confused as to which one of the vectors to state as the variable.

using the formula S= ut + 0.5at^2

i got the unit vector form (9500i + 9500j+ 1500k) this is correct.

now the solution says the vertical height is 1500k, but i thought 9500j was the vertical component. can some please explain this to me.

my answer

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you must be picturing the x-y-z axes as representing, let's say, x for eastward, y for up (as in altitude), and z for northward? That could feasibly be true, but for the velocity here rising to 100i + 100j + 30k it would be more like a ride on fighter plane, gaining 100m in altitude for every 104m you travel over terrain. If you instead interpret z as representing altitude, then plane passengers will be less terrified. :smile:

I'm not saying I'm correct, but it seems the question does leave this up to you to decide. Which means there is room for ambiguity.

Last edited:
thanks, i was kinda thinking along those lines too...

1. What is vector dynamics?

Vector dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's velocity and acceleration.

2. How do you solve vector dynamics problems?

To solve vector dynamics problems, you need to break down the initial and final velocities of an object into their components (x and y directions). Then, use the equations of motion (such as Newton's second law and kinematic equations) to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is initial and final velocity?

Initial velocity refers to the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion, while final velocity refers to the velocity of an object at the end of its motion. Both initial and final velocities are vectors, meaning they have both magnitude and direction.

4. What is the importance of solving vector dynamics problems?

Solving vector dynamics problems allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in real-world situations, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the movement of a car on a curved road. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy.

5. What are some common types of vector dynamics problems?

Some common types of vector dynamics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane. These problems typically involve finding the final velocity, displacement, or acceleration of an object in a given scenario.