1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector equation of a line

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    the equation of a straight line is given by 2x + y = 4

(a) find the vector equation of a unit normal from the origin to the line and (b) the equation of a line passing through P(0,2) and normal to 2x + y = 4.

i know i need to use the dot product some how but i am utterly confused as to where to begin! please help.

i think first the vector equation for the given line is r = < 1 , -2 > then i need to dot r with rperp and set equal to 0? i am very confused. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, imb3cile! :smile:

The general equation of a line is [itex](\vec n, \vec x) = d[/itex]
    In this equation [itex]\vec n[/itex] is a normal vector to the line, [itex]\vec x[/itex] is the vector with your coordinates x and y, and d is an arbitrary constant, that creates an offset to the origin.
    The parenthesis around the 2 vectors indicate that the dot product is taken.

If the vector n would have components a and b, this would turn out as: ax + by = d

Can you see from your own equation what the normal vector n would be?

For part (a) you would need a multiple of this vector, such that if you fill it in for x and y, it matches the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook