1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Equations of Lines

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1

Find the parametric equations of the lines L1, L2, L3 and L4 that pass through the indicated verticies of the square:

[​IMG]

This isn't a homework question but I need some tutoring help here with parametric equations of lines, those who are good at linear algebra. Thanks.

3. The attempt at a solution

L1 for example, is parallel to the y-axis a vector that's (0,1)

A vector equation of the line is x=tv. If we let x = (x,y) this equation can be expressed in the component form as;

(x,y) = t(0,1)

(t is some scalar.)

Therefore the parametric equation has to be:

x = t.0
    y = t

[tex]\Rightarrow x = 0, y = t[/tex]

But the correct answer in the textbook suggests: L1: x = 1, y = t

Why did I get the wrong answer for x?

I'm pretty confused right now I've been reading the book this afternoon and I still don't get it, I’m too tired to continue, I’m off to bed now!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2008 #2

danago

Gold Member

You are right that L1 is parallel to the vector (0,1), but when t=0, your equation suggest that (x,y)=(0,0) which cannot be correct, since the line does not pass through the origin. Can you see the detail you have overlooked?

4. Aug 30, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

No it isn't. A vector equation is of the form [tex]\vec{OR} + t\vec{v}[/tex]. Assuming that you meant that the x-component of the line is x=tv where v is a vector, it's still incorrect because x is constant for L1, and doesn't vary for any parameter t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?