Vector Equations for line passing through a point

The direction vector is parallel to the line and can be written as D = <1,-2>. Therefore, the vector equation of the line is <x,y> = <4,3> + t <1,-2>. In summary, to find the vector equation of a line passing through a point and parallel to a given vector, you can use the formula r = p + t(q-p) where r is the vector equation, p is the given point, t is a parameter, and q is a point on the line. In this case, q can be found by using the dot product of q-p and the given direction vector to find its magnitude, and then plugging in the values into the formula.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am a bit confused... I don't understand what is happening, I can't picture it:

Find a vector equation for the line passing through the point 4,3 and parallel to the vector i - 2j.

If r = p +t (q-p)

I only have one point, how can I use the fact it is parallel to help me? Point Q must be as such that the dot product of q - p and i - 2j must equal the magnitude of q - p * the magnitude of i - 2j?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector equation of a line through (a,b) in the direction D = <c,d>is

<x,y> = <a,b> + t<c,d>

All you need is a point and a direction vector, which you have given.

1. What is a vector equation for a line passing through a point?

A vector equation for a line passing through a point is an equation that represents the line using a vector and a point on the line. It is typically written as r = r0 + tv, where r is a position vector, r0 is the given point, t is a scalar parameter, and v is the direction vector of the line.

2. How do I find the direction vector for a line passing through a point?

To find the direction vector for a line passing through a point, first determine two points on the line. Then, subtract the coordinates of one point from the other to find the difference vector between the two points. This difference vector will be the direction vector for the line passing through the given point.

3. Can a vector equation represent a line that is not passing through the origin?

Yes, a vector equation can represent a line that is not passing through the origin. The point r0 in the equation represents the given point on the line, which can be any point in space. The direction vector v will determine the slope and direction of the line, regardless of where the line passes through the origin or not.

4. What are the advantages of using vector equations for lines?

Vector equations for lines have several advantages. They provide a compact and efficient way to represent a line in three-dimensional space. They also allow for easy calculation of points on the line by simply substituting different values for the scalar parameter t. Additionally, vector equations allow for easy visualization of the line and its direction in space.

5. How do I convert a vector equation to a parametric equation for a line?

To convert a vector equation to a parametric equation for a line, simply equate the components of the vector equation to the components of the parametric equation. This will result in a system of equations that can be solved for the scalar parameter t. Once t is found, substitute it back into the vector equation to find the coordinates of points on the line.