1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector equations

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the significance of each vector forumula? Which one is used for what and why? What is the purpose of the symmetric function?

2. Relevant equations
    1) r = r0 + tv
    2) r(t) = (1 - t)r0 + tr1
    3) Symmetric equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    My textbook introduced me to the first formula write equations for vectors, which I understand. Later it introduced segments and modified the first equation to the second one, without any clear explanation. I don't understand why seperate formulas are needed for vectors and segments. Finally, my textbook concluded that chapter by eliminating the parameter t and getting the "symmetric equation". What is the purpose of that equation? Thank you so much. This is so confusing for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The first one describes a particle at position r0 at time t0=0 moving with velocity v. The r then is the position at any time t of the particle.

The second one is saying given a particle at r0 and then at r1 you can determine its position at any time t.

Notice when you rearrange the terms a bit you get r0 + (r1 - r0) t so the (r1 - r0) factor is the velocity v from the first equation.

I'm not sure about the symmetric equation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted