1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector equations

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Let [itex]a_1[/itex] = a column vector with 1, 4, -2; [itex]a_2[/itex] = a column vector with -2, -3, 7; and [itex]b[/itex] = a column vector with entries 4, 1, h.
    (I hope this is an adequate description. I forgot how to write pretty matrices in tex ^_^;)

For what values of h is [itex]b[/itex] in the plane spanned by [itex]a_1[/itex] and [itex]a_2[/itex]?

I turned this into an augmented matrix but had trouble reducing it to RREF.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had the best success in vectors when I put everything in terms of dot products and cross products. In this problem, one can take [itex]C = a_1 \times a_2[/itex] as defining the plane spanned by [itex]a_1[/itex] and [itex]a_2[/itex]. Then h is in the plane if [itex]h \cdot C[/itex] is zero. That is, if C is perpendicular to h.

Click on this example to be reminded how to format matrices in LaTex with various boundary definitions &c:

[tex]\left( \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
    0 & 1 & 2 \\
    3 & 4 & 5 \end{array} \right| \right)[/tex]

Carl

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3

TD

Homework Helper

Put them in a matrix and compute the determinant. If det is 0, then the vector are coplanar and thus, every vector is in the plane span by the other two.

[tex]\left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 & { - 2} & 4 \\
    4 & { - 3} & 1 \\
    { - 2} & 7 & h \\

\end{array} } \right| = 0 \Leftrightarrow h = - 17[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?