Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector field- fluid mechanics

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    HI
    I was a under a little confusion about vector field.
    Consider velocity field of fluid flow:

V = u i + v j + w k

here V is vector and consider a cap over i, j, k (since they represent x,y,z directions)

now we know that u,v,w are functions of x,y,z,t. This is where i am confused.

u is velocity component in x direction then it should be function of only x and t. Why y and z also???????

In a velocity field we see arrows representing magnitude and direction of velocity at any position, are these arrows over fluid particles? I mean can i assume each arrow as a particle at that position having certain velocity represented by the arrow??????

I think i lack understanding of fluid velocity field. Can anyone expalin a bit.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi R Power! :smile:

(use i j and k :wink:)
    Imagine a river of width 60m flowing steadily in the x-direction.

The water is fastest in the middle, say 3 m/s, and zero near the bank.

So in the middle, the velocity vector is 3i, and at distance y from the middle, it is (|30 - y|/10)i

u is a function of y, but is independent of x. :wink:
    Yes, that's exactly correct, the value of the velocity field at each point is the velocity of the actual particle that is (instantaneously) at that point. :smile:

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    If this is so streamlines should be same as pathlines whether flow is steady or unsteady. Am I correct?
    Tiny Tim, please answer my another post relating to streamlines,streaklines,pathlines in mechanical engineering section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook