Find the Force of a Particle Attracted Toward Origin

In summary: To get it proportional to distance squared, you need to add a k^4 in front of the F. This will make it proportional to distance squared. Dick said you must use F=k*(x*i,y*j). Here k is "proportional to the cube of it's distance from the origin". Yes, the "distance from the origin is \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}. What is the cube of that? And since the particle is "attracted", the vector must be directed toward the origin. (xi, yj) is directed away from the origin.TO DICK.
Logik

Homework Statement

A particle is attracted toward the origin by a force proportional to the cube of it's distance from the origin. (...)

What would be this Force equal to (in xy plane)?

The Attempt at a Solution

So distance is Sqrt[x^2+y^2]... and from here I don't know what to do...

F=( ? i , ? j)

Physics news on Phys.org
The force should also point in the direction of the origin. So consider F=k*(x*i,y*j). The magnitude of this force is directly proportional to distance from the origin. How would you change it to get the right proportionality (BTW - did you mean 'inversely' proportional to cube of the distance?).

F=k*(x^3*i,y^3*j), k<0 ?

Is this good then?

// I did not mean inversely.

Logik said:
F=k*(x^3*i,y^3*j), k<0 ?

Is this good then?

// I did not mean inversely.

That i) does not point towards the origin anymore and ii) is NOT proportional to distance cubed. It's proportional to sqrt(x^6+y^6). Distance cubed is sqrt(x^2+y^2)^3. Not at all the same thing. If (x,y) is already proportional to distance, why not just multiply it by distance squared?

Dick SAID you must F=k*(x*i,y*j). Here k is "proportional to the cube of it's distance from the origin". Yes, the "distance from the origin is [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex]. What is the cube of that? And since the particle is "attracted", the vector must be directed toward the origin. (xi, yj) is directed away from the origin.

TO DICK.

F=(x*i, y*j)
DIV F = d/dx(x) + d/dy(y) = 2 which means it goes outward and not to the origin...

// EDIT

F=-(x^2 + y^2)^3/2 * (x*i, y*j)

Last edited:
Logik said:
TO DICK.

F=(x*i, y*j)
DIV F = d/dx(x) + d/dy(y) = 2 which means it goes outward and not to the origin...

// EDIT

F=-(x^2 + y^2)^3/2 * (x*i, y*j)

You can point it in the right direction by putting a -k in front. But we're getting there. Your latest effort points in the right direction, but (x,y) is proportional to distance and (x^2+y^2)^(3/2) is proportional to distance cubed. So the product is proportional to distance to the fourth. You just need one minor adjustment.

1. What is the force of a particle attracted toward the origin?

The force of a particle attracted toward the origin is the amount of force that the origin exerts on the particle due to their mutual gravitational or electromagnetic interaction.

2. How is the force of a particle attracted toward the origin measured?

The force of a particle attracted toward the origin can be measured using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation or Coulomb's Law, depending on whether the interaction is gravitational or electromagnetic in nature.

3. How does the distance between the particle and the origin affect the force?

The force of a particle attracted toward the origin is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can the force of a particle attracted toward the origin be negative?

Yes, the force of a particle attracted toward the origin can be negative if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the particle's motion.

5. How does the mass or charge of the particle and the origin affect the force?

The force of a particle attracted toward the origin is directly proportional to the product of their masses or charges. This means that a larger mass or charge will result in a stronger force.