Understanding Vector Fields on the Sphere S^2: A Student's Guide

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a vector field on S^2 that vanishes at one point. The solution involved taking a non-zero vector field on S^2 x R^2 and using streographic projection via the north pole to represent it on the south pole chart. This resulted in a smooth vector field on S^2 that only vanishes at one point.
jem05
i need a vector field on S^2 that vanishes at 1 point. there was a thread like this here, but the answer was ((v1/1+x^2),(v2/1+y^2)) and i really don't see how this vanishes at a point although i do get it intuitively.
My professor hinted that i should take a non zero vector fiels in S^2 x R^2 pull it back by streographic projection via the north pole, then represent it by the south pole chart.
ca someone help me understand this.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Take any smooth nonvanishing vector field V on R² ([itex]\partial / \partial x[/itex] for instance). Because streographic projection via the north pole is a diffeomorphism, the pushfoward of V by the streographic projection via the north pole is a nonvanishing smooth vector field on S²\{south pole}. Now write that vector field in terms of the basis induced by stereographic projection via the south pole and notice/show that extending your vector field to all of S² by setting it equal to 0 at the south pole gives a smooth vector field on S² vanishing at only one point.

thank you that was very helpful!

1. What is a vector field on the sphere S^2?

A vector field on the sphere S^2 is a mathematical concept used to represent the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity at every point on the surface of a sphere. It is a function that assigns a vector to each point on the sphere.

2. Why is it important to understand vector fields on the sphere S^2?

Vector fields on the sphere S^2 are used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and meteorology, to model and analyze various phenomena on the surface of a sphere. Understanding them is crucial for solving complex problems and making accurate predictions.

3. How do you represent a vector field on the sphere S^2?

A vector field on the sphere S^2 can be represented using arrows or line segments on a 2D map of the sphere, or using mathematical equations and diagrams that show the direction and magnitude of the vectors at different points on the sphere.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector fields on the sphere S^2?

Vector fields on the sphere S^2 are used in many real-world applications, such as weather forecasting, ocean currents, airflow patterns, satellite imagery, and even computer graphics and animation.

5. How can I learn more about understanding vector fields on the sphere S^2?

The best way to learn more about understanding vector fields on the sphere S^2 is to study mathematics and physics, particularly vector calculus and differential geometry. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, and seek guidance from experts in the field.