Confirming Vector Field is Conservative: ln(x^2 + y^2)

In summary, the conversation is about determining if the given function is a potential for the given vector field using the concept of conservative vector fields and the equations for finding potentials. The conclusion is that the potential of the vector field is -2√(x^2+y^2)+C, which can also be written as ln(x^2+y^2). There is some confusion about the constant of integration, but ultimately the question may be incorrect.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

confirm that the given function is apotential for the given vector field

[itex]ln(x^{2} + y^{2}) for \frac{2x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} \vec{i} + \frac{2y}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} \vec{j}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the first thing i did was let my equation = [itex]P\vec{i}+Q \vec{j}[/itex]

then if they are conservative[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} [/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = \frac{-2xy}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} [/itex]

and

[itex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = \frac{-2xy}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} [/itex]

so the vector field is conservative.

then

f(x,y) = [itex]\int P(x,y) dx[/itex] and f(x,y) = [itex]\int Q(x,y) dy[/itex]

from tables i get f(x,y) = 2([itex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]

what am i doing wrong here? am i getting my integration wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The conservative vector field, [itex]\vec F[/itex], is:
[tex]\nabla \phi = P\hat i + Q \hat j[/tex]
But,
[tex]\nabla \phi = \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\hat i + \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} \hat j[/tex]
So,
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = P \, ... equation \, (1)[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} = Q \, ... equation \, (2)[/tex]

Actually, i got [tex]\phi (x,y)=2\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+C[/tex]
By definition, the potential of the vector field is [itex]- \phi(x,y)[/itex].

Last edited:
thats what i got, but i left out the constant of integration.
So do you think the question is wrong...

The potential of the vector field [itex]\vec F[/itex] should be:
[tex]-\phi (x,y)=-2\sqrt{x^2+y^2}-C[/tex]Unless there is a nice way to convert the above expression into:
[tex]\ln (x^2 + y^2)[/tex] then, i don't see how.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. This can be represented visually as a collection of arrows, with each arrow pointing in a specific direction and magnitude.

2. How can we determine if a vector field is conservative?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, we need to check if it satisfies the conservative property, which states that the line integral of the vector field around any closed path is equal to zero. If this condition is met, then the vector field is conservative.

3. What is the method for confirming a vector field is conservative?

The method for confirming a vector field is conservative is by using the gradient theorem. This theorem states that if a vector field is conservative, then it can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function, also known as a potential function. By finding the potential function for a given vector field, we can confirm if it is conservative or not.

4. What is the significance of ln(x^2 + y^2) in confirming a vector field is conservative?

The function ln(x^2 + y^2) is the potential function for a vector field in two dimensions. This means that if we take the gradient of this function, we will get the original vector field. Therefore, if we can express a vector field as the gradient of ln(x^2 + y^2), we can confirm that it is conservative.

5. Can we use other methods to confirm a vector field is conservative?

Yes, there are other methods besides using the gradient theorem to confirm a vector field is conservative. Some other common methods include using the divergence theorem, Green's theorem, and the curl theorem. However, the gradient theorem is the most straightforward and commonly used method for confirming a vector field is conservative.