Understanding Domain & Range in R^2: Conditions for Image in Boundary

In summary: It may be that the conditions that are necessary for the change of variable theorem are stronger than just continuity of the second partial derivatives.
Castilla
Can you help me with this? I have a function with domain and range in R^2. What conditions it must have so that a point in the boundary of the domain will have its image in the boundary of the range?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that every point on the boundary of the domain has image on boundary of the range?

Yes. We have a set R in a plane xy and a set R* in a plane uv.

We have functions f(x, y) and F(u, v) and the variables have this relations:

u = u(x, y) and v = v(x,y).

x = x(u, v) and y = y(u,v).

These functions u, v, x, y are inyective.

In Apostol' Calculus (vol.2), in the preliminaries to the proof of the Change of Variable theorem for Multiple Integrals, Apostol states this (I am translating from spanish to english):

"For the proof we suppose that the functions x and y have continuous second partial derivatives and that the jacobian nevers goes null in R*. The J(u, v) is always positive or always negative. The meaning of the sign of J(u,v) is thath when a point (x, y) describes the boundary of R in counterclockwise sense, the image point (u, v) describes the boundary of R* in the same sense if J(u,v) es positive and in contrary sense if J(u,v) is negative.

Eh... any idea ??

As stated sufficient conditions is that the functions have continuous second partial derivatives and the Jacobian is not null.

The necessary conditions may be a bit broader. Hmmmm...

Recall that by definition a continuous mapping will map open neighborhoods to open neighborhoods. Thus anything defined topologically (open sets, closed sets, boundary, and interior) will be preserved by the mapping. [But note that the inverse mapping may not be defined and so topological properties of the image may not map back to properties of the original set.]

Certainly a continuous and invertible function will be sufficient (but invertiblity may not be necessary.) I don't remember for certain.

Now in order to carry out a change of variables you need stronger conditions so that the integrals will be equal and that is the business with the continuous second partial derivatives and non-singular Jacobian.

Jambaugh, may be you can give me some hints as why the continuity of the second partial derivatives implies that the image of a boundary point of the domain set is on the boundary of the range set.

What is the definition of domain and range in R^2?

The domain in R^2 refers to the set of all possible input values for a given function, while the range refers to the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of x-coordinates and the range is the set of y-coordinates.

What is the significance of understanding domain and range in R^2?

Understanding domain and range in R^2 is crucial for analyzing and graphing functions. It allows us to determine the input and output values of a function, as well as identify the boundaries of the function's graph.

What are the conditions for image in boundary in R^2?

The conditions for image in boundary in R^2 depend on the type of boundary being analyzed. For a closed boundary, the image must be contained within the boundary. For an open boundary, the image must be contained within the interior of the boundary. For a half-open boundary, the image must be contained within one of the two half-lines that make up the boundary.

How can I determine the domain and range of a function in R^2?

To determine the domain and range of a function in R^2, you can use the graph of the function or the equation itself. For the domain, you will need to identify any restrictions on the input values, such as avoiding division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. For the range, you will need to solve the function for y and identify any restrictions on the output values.

What are some examples of functions with different types of boundaries in R^2?

Some examples of functions with different types of boundaries in R^2 include a circle (closed boundary), a parabola opening upwards (open boundary), and a line with a shaded region above or below it (half-open boundary).