1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector force problem, stumped.

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    The problem is attached.

I am supremely stumped. First and foremost, what the heck does "horizontal forces" mean? If they are both horizontal, how is the angle between them anything but 0/180??

Regardless..

The graph has a slope of 3, therefore acceleration's x component is 3. Therefore net force x-component is 5.1

Therefore,

2.6cos(a) + 9.0cos(b) = 5.1

But so what? That's all the information that the problem gives me. Granted I know that cos(a) has to be between 1 and 0 for it to be in the positive direction...

Any hints? I really have no idea!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2
    Problem is attached.

EDIT:

Am I reading this correctly? By F1 is in the direction of the +x axis, do they mean that as in it has no component along y? Or just that it's x component is positive?

Arrg, this is a terribly worded question. I really want to know what two "horizontal forces" are!

Solved, yes, they did just mean that F1 had a y component of 0. What a headache.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. Feb 9, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=43714&d=1328829512.jpg

It seems clearly worded to me. Yes, it does take some thought to get some of the details straight, but I don't consider it ambiguous at all.

As for your earlier question about horizontal forces, it's clearly worded that the xy-plane is horizontal. That gives two dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook