Vector Function (Calc. 3)

In summary, to find a vector function representing the curve of intersection of the two surfaces, one must combine the equations for the paraboloid and parabolic cylinder and choose a parameter. By letting y = t, the vector function r(t) = (sqrt(t))i + (t)j + (4t + t^2)k can be obtained.
1st1

Homework Statement

Find a vector function that represents the curve of intersection of the two surfaces:

The paraboloid z = 4x^2 + y^2
The parabolic cylinder y = x^2

Homework Equations

z = 4x^2 + y^2
y = x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Combining the two equations:

z = 4(sqrt(y))^2 + y^2
z = 4y + y^2

Choose a parameter:
Let y = t
z = 4t + t^2

Therefore:

x = sqrt(t)
y = t

I get the equation:

r(t) = (sqrt(t))i + (t)j + (4t + t^2)k

Is this correct or did I do something wrong?
Any help appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 1st1, welcome to PF!:smile:

1st1 said:
Combining the two equations:

z = 4(sqrt(y))^2 + y^2
z = 4y + y^2

Careful,

[tex]\sqrt{y^2}=|y|=\left\{ \begin{array}{lr} y & , y \geq 0 \\ -y & , y<0 \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Instead of introducing this [itex]\pm[/itex] sign problem, try writing [itex]z[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] instead.

Hey gabba, thanks for the welcome.

I see what you mean but sqrt(y) is being squared so regardless of a positive or negative output it will be squared afterwards which would give me positive y either way. Correct me if I am overlooking something.

Anyway, here is the work in terms of x:

z = 4x^2 + (x^2)^2
z = 4x^2 + x^4

Let x = t
z = 4t^2 + t^4
x = t
y = t^2

r(t) = (t)i + (t^2)j + (4t^2 + t^4)k

Is this correct?

Thanks again.

The reason that sqrt(y^2)=|y|, is that, by definition, the sqrt() function always returns a positive value.

Other than that, your solution looks good to me!:approve:

Sounds good, thank you.

What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes a set of input values and produces a corresponding set of output values in the form of vectors. It is often used in multivariable calculus to describe the motion of an object in space.

How is a vector function different from a scalar function?

A vector function produces output values in the form of vectors, which have both magnitude and direction, while a scalar function produces output values in the form of scalars, which only have magnitude. This means that a vector function can describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object, while a scalar function can only describe its position.

What are the applications of vector functions?

Vector functions have many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to describe the movement of objects in three-dimensional space, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the motion of a particle in a magnetic field. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D animations and simulations.

How are vector functions graphed?

Vector functions are graphed by plotting the individual components of the vector as functions of a single variable. For example, if the vector function has components x(t), y(t), and z(t), the graph would show the points (x(t), y(t), z(t)) for different values of t. This creates a curve or path in three-dimensional space.

What is the relationship between vector functions and parametric equations?

Vector functions and parametric equations are closely related, as both involve expressing a set of variables in terms of a single parameter. However, vector functions specifically involve vectors as the output values, while parametric equations can involve any type of variable. Vector functions can also be used to describe the motion of an object in parametric form.