Vector function/field problem

• Thread starter galipop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses vector functions and vector fields. The given vector function is g(x,y,z) = x^3 + y + z^2 and the vector field is F = (2xz, sin y, e^y). The evaluation of various operations such as gradient, divergence, and curl for these functions is discussed. It is determined that the divergence of a vector function is not defined and the operation of taking the gradient of a gradient function does not exist. However, it is noted that in some cases, the gradient of a vector function can be calculated as a matrix. Overall, the conversation provides a basic understanding of vector operations.
galipop
Hi Folks,

I'm just working through a few exercises relating to vector functions and vector fields.

Can you look over my working and let me know if I'm on the right track?

vector function: g(x,y,z) = x^3 + y + z^2
vector field F = (2xz , sin y , e^y)

i need to evalute the following:
1. grad g = (3x^2 , 1 , 2z)

2. div g = does not exist. From what I've seen you can't find the div of a vector function. Is this correct?

3. div F = 2z + cos y + 0

4. curl F = e^y i + (2x) j + 0k

5. grad (grad g): does not exist as this operation can't be performed twice. correct?

6. curl (grad g) = 0

7. div ( curl F ) = 0

How does the above look?

Many Thanks,

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
"2. div g = does not exist. From what I've seen you can't find the div of a vector function. Is this correct?"

If you meant to write "you can't find the div of a scalar function" function, then you are right.
The divergence operator acts on a vector and produces a scalar.

"5. grad (grad g): does not exist as this operation can't be performed twice. correct?"

I would think that in the beginning course you're taking, this would be correct (not too sure, though!)

The gradient operator is customarily introduced as an operator that takes a scalar function f into the vector function [tex]\nabla{f}[/tex]

If this is basically what you've been told about the gradient operator, then you have the right answer.

However, it is extremely useful in maths to also be able to calculate the "gradient" of a vector function.
This object will be a matrix.
(If this is completely unknown to you, and the book you're reading makes no references to such matrices, then you should stick with your original answer)

Otherwise, it looks good.

Hi Pete,

Your working looks good so far! Let's go through each part to make sure you're on the right track:

1. The gradient of g is correct. You have correctly taken the partial derivatives of each component of the vector function.

2. You are correct, the divergence of a vector function does not exist. Divergence is only defined for vector fields, not vector functions. So your answer is correct.

3. Your answer for the divergence of F is correct. You have correctly taken the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field.

4. The curl of F is also correct. You have correctly applied the curl operator to each component of the vector field.

5. You are correct again, the gradient of the gradient of g does not exist. This is because the gradient operator can only be applied once to a scalar function, not twice.

6. Your answer for the curl of the gradient of g is correct. Since the gradient of g does not exist, the curl of it will also be 0.

7. Finally, your answer for the divergence of the curl of F is also correct. You have correctly applied the divergence operator to each component of the curl of F.

Overall, your working looks good and your answers are correct. Keep up the good work! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a vector function/field problem?

A vector function/field problem involves finding the vector field associated with a given vector function. This involves determining the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point in the domain of the function.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. It can be represented graphically using arrows, where the direction and length of the arrow correspond to the direction and magnitude of the vector at that point.

How do you solve a vector function/field problem?

To solve a vector function/field problem, you need to first determine the domain of the function and then find the vector components at each point in the domain. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as differentiation and integration.

What is the physical significance of vector functions/fields?

Vector functions/fields have many applications in physics and engineering. They can be used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and electric/magnetic fields. They are also useful in solving problems involving motion, fluid flow, and electromagnetism.

What are some common real-world examples of vector function/field problems?

Some common real-world examples of vector function/field problems include calculating the flow of a fluid through a pipe, determining the electric field around a charged particle, and analyzing the motion of an object under the influence of different forces.