1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector function intersection

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Find a vector function that represents the curve of intersection of the two surfaces."

2. Relevant equations

Cone: [tex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] Plane: [tex]z = 1+y[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I began by setting [tex]x=cos t[/tex], so that [tex]y = sin t[/tex] and [tex]z = 1+sin t[/tex]. At this point, however, I am stuck. I think I need to set something equal to something else, but I am not sure what.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2
    [strike]You have 2 equations in 3 variables and you want to get 3 equations in 4 variables. This means you can only introduce one new equation where your new variable will appear. Otherwise you will have 4 equations in 4 variables and you no longer have the one degree of freedom required to get a curve. Here you have introduced two new arbitrary equations. Try just setting x = t and then try to express y and z in terms of just t.[/strike] Sorry, I thought you arbitrarily set y = sint, but it seems that you just made a calculation mistake (because you write "so that y = sint", which is wrong). It will be much easier if you just set x = t and then you solve y and z in terms of x (=t).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  4. Sep 7, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you have any particular reason for setting [itex]x= cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(t)[/itex]?
    Surely, not from the first equation?

If you set [itex]x= cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(t)[/itex] then you are saying that [tex]z= \sqrt{sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)}= 1[/tex] for all t- and that is NOT true.

The obvious thing to do, since [itex]z= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] and [itex]z= 1+ y[/itex], is to set [itex]x+ y= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]. Then, after squaring both sides, [itex]1+ 2y+ y^2= x^2+ y^2[/itex] so that [itex]2y= x^2- 1[/itex] and [itex]y= (1/2)x^2- (1/2)[/itex].

Now, let x= t as the parameter.

5. Sep 7, 2014 #4
    Awesome! Thank-you.

6. Sep 7, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nevermind my previous post (deleted).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted