1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Function

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    Okay. My reason for posting this is that I need help actually formulating the 'math part' of it. I can get the right answer by 'inspection.' And from the way the book is written, I believe that is how the authors expect you to find it. But for self gratifying reasons, I wish to generalize the answer a little bit:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write the formula for a vector function in 2 dimensions whose direction makes an
    angle of 45 degrees with the x-axis and whose magnitude at any point (x,y) is (x+y)2.

3. The attempt at a solution

Now just looking at it, we can say that to insure that the vector at any point (x,y) is at 45 degrees to the x-axis, we can let the funciton equal something to the effect of:

[tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y) = k(\bold{i} + \bold{j})[/tex]

Now k(x,y) is the 'scalar portion' of F and must have the effect that its product with the magnitude of the
    vector portion of F, namely v=(i + j), must equal (x+y)2.

Now since the magnitude of v=(i + j) is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], k(x,y) must have [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] in its denominator.

This will make 'unit vector' in the v direction or

[tex]\bold{u}_v = \frac{\bold{v}}{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{\bold{i} + \bold{j}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Therefore, multiplying v by k(x,y) = (x+y)2/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] gives the desired result.

[tex]\Rightarrow \bold{F}(x,y) = \frac{(x+y)^2}{\sqrt{2}}(\bold{i} + \bold{j})[/tex]

I am just curious how other would approach this problem, or if this is the most efficient method from a mathematical standpoint.

~Casey

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2
    Dunno if it helps but....

I assumed a vector initially completely in the i direction: [tex]\mathbf{F} = (x+y)^2 \mathbf{i}[/tex].

Then just did a coordinate rotation:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}cos(45) & -sin(45)\\sin(45) & cos(45)\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}(x+y)^2\\0\end{array}\right) = \frac{(x+y)^2}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{cc}\mathbf{i}\\\mathbf{j}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks Feldoh! That's a very interesting approach. I like it!

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook