Vector Description of a Point P on Line AB

In summary, the question is asking for a vector description of a point P that is one-third of the way from A to B on the line segment AB. The solution involves using the vectors OB and OA and finding the vector subtraction that results in AB. To represent the vector AP, you would need to modify this subtraction using the (x,y) coordinates of A and P.
twofish

Homework Statement

Below is the question given.
"Give a vector description of a point P that is on-third of the way from A to B on the line segment AB."

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm not sure where to go with this, all I really have at this point is a line A-B 6 squares long on my graph paper, with the point P at square 2.
From there I have drawn a two vectors above the line, they both originate at O and descend down to A and B, such that another vector descends from O to P at 90 degrees.

I believe that I have to use the Proj of u onto v at some point (or b onto a), but I'm unsure how to incorporate this into the solution.

Code:
          O
         /|\
        / |  \
  a    /  |    \    b
      /   |       \
     /    | p       \
    /     |           \
   A______|_____________B
          P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the (x,y) coordinates of A and of P, then just do the component subtractions to get the vector AP.

Yes, the question is as stated (ie; there are no components given).

I'm leaning towards something similar to letting
AB= b-a
then P= (1/3) (b-a)
?

Last edited:
Then I guess you can only answer it with symbollic vector subtraction.

Assume that you have the vectors OB and OA. Write the vector subtraction that results in the vector AB. Then what modification to this subtraction do you need to do to represent the vector AP?

1. What is a vector description of a point P on line AB?

A vector description of a point P on line AB is a mathematical representation of the position of point P on line AB using a vector. It includes the magnitude and direction of the vector needed to reach point P from the origin of the line AB.

2. How is a vector description of a point P on line AB different from a coordinate point?

A coordinate point is a single point on a two-dimensional plane represented by an ordered pair (x,y). A vector description of a point P on line AB includes both the magnitude and direction of the vector needed to reach point P, while a coordinate point only indicates the position of the point on the plane.

3. What information is needed to create a vector description of a point P on line AB?

To create a vector description of a point P on line AB, you will need the coordinates of point P and the coordinates of another point on the line, usually the origin (0,0). This will allow you to calculate the magnitude and direction of the vector needed to reach point P from the origin.

4. How is a vector description of a point P on line AB used in physics?

In physics, a vector description of a point P on line AB is used to represent the displacement of an object from its starting point to its end point. It is also used to represent the velocity and acceleration of an object, which are also vector quantities.

5. Can a vector description of a point P on line AB be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, a vector description of a point P on line AB can be used in three-dimensional space by adding a third coordinate, usually denoted as z. This allows for the representation of points and vectors in three-dimensional space, which is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.