Vector Green's functions for Laplace function

In summary, the conversation discussed the implementation of a Monte-Carlo tool for calculating capacitances of complex geometry, specifically using a randomized algorithm based on random walks. The conversation also touched on the concept of deriving vector Green's functions from scalar ones, with recommendations for further research and resources.
MrRecycle
I'm implementing a Monte-Carlo tool to calculate capactiances of complex geometry.
There's a clever and pretty easy to implement randomized algorithm for doing this based on random walks. A lot of this ishttps://www.amazon.com/dp/1439800715/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The basic idea is that we can evaluate a potential at a given point by realizing that by the Laplace equation (which electostatic potentials follow), the potential at a point is equal to the mean potential of all the points on a spherical shell around it. In a monte carlo way, we can randomly hop to a point on this shell and ask if we've hit a boundary.. if we have, we know the potential there and we're done. Else we randomly walk again and again. It's not efficient, but computers are fast. The HUGE advantage is that it works just great with very complex and arbitrary boundaries.

Now walking a sphere is not as efficient as walking a cube, and it's possible to change the walk to jump to the surface of a cube instead of a sphere. In this case, the points on the cube boundary are not all equally likely.. and a Green's function determines the weighting of each part of a cube face.

Now here's my question. I have a point in space and I can evaluate its potential by this walking method. But my real goal is to estimate the gradient of this potential. (Actually, just the gradient in a given direction.. it's E dot N) At a crude level, I could compute the potential at x,y,z and then the potential at x+dx, y, z, and use a finite difference of that potential (divided by dx) to estimate the gradient. But this is not practical nor elegant. I feel very much that there's a clever way to change the problem somehow using a new VECTOR Green's function which will let me sample the values on the boundary and combining those weighted samples produce an estimate of that derivative.

I've seen fleeting references to this method in papers, math texts, and online but nothing solid.

In particular I'm hoping to learn how to derive these vector Greens functions from the scalar ones. In the simplest case, I have a spherical Green's function to measure potential.. it's just a constant! The potential follows classic electrostatics of a charge free volume... Gauss's law, following the Laplace equation. I want a similar spherical boundary with weightings on its surface that will produce an estimate of the derivative (dE/dz) in the Z direction. It's intuitively obvious that the "top" half of the sphere is going to have positive weights and the bottom half will have negative weights. What I don't know is what function those weights follow (based on the cosine of phi, perhaps.. this seems promising and elegant but I can't prove it!) Am I on the right track?

Pointers and tips are greatly welcomed.. names of a good book that describes such simple systems, web pages or papers.. whatever. I've worn out Google and Amazon all day long looking for a good reference for this and it's not clicking yet.

Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! That sounds like a very interesting project you're working on. I can definitely appreciate the importance of efficient and accurate methods for calculating complex geometries.

To answer your question about deriving vector Green's functions from scalar ones, I would recommend looking into the theory of vector calculus and its applications in electromagnetism. In particular, you may want to research the concept of the gradient operator, which is used to calculate the rate of change of a scalar field in a given direction.

In terms of practical applications, there are several books that may be helpful, such as "Vector Calculus" by Marsden and Tromba, "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" by Lorrain and Corson, and "Classical Electromagnetism" by Jackson. These books provide a thorough explanation of the theory and also offer practical examples and applications in electromagnetism.

In addition, there are also online resources that may be helpful, such as lecture notes and tutorials from universities or research institutions. Some examples include MIT's OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What are vector Green's functions for Laplace function?

Vector Green's functions for Laplace function are mathematical tools used to solve boundary value problems for vector-valued functions in three-dimensional space. They are a set of functions that satisfy the Laplace equation and the appropriate boundary conditions.

2. How are vector Green's functions for Laplace function used?

Vector Green's functions for Laplace function are used to determine the solution to a boundary value problem by taking the convolution of the Green's function with the given boundary conditions. They are also used to find the potential or force at any point in space due to a given distribution of sources or charges.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector Green's functions?

The main difference between scalar and vector Green's functions is that scalar Green's functions are used for solving scalar-valued problems, while vector Green's functions are used for solving vector-valued problems. Additionally, vector Green's functions have both a magnitude and a direction, while scalar Green's functions only have a magnitude.

4. What are some applications of vector Green's functions for Laplace function?

Vector Green's functions for Laplace function have many applications in physics and engineering, such as solving problems in electrostatics, magnetostatics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in the study of acoustic and electromagnetic scattering problems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using vector Green's functions for Laplace function?

One limitation of vector Green's functions for Laplace function is that they can only be used for linear problems. They also assume that the medium in which the problem is being solved is homogeneous and isotropic, and that the boundary conditions are continuous and differentiable. Additionally, they are only applicable to problems in three-dimensional space.